15day Swiss Travel Pass vs Swiss Half Fare Card?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Lionel
Lionel
3 posts
Apr 15, 2019 - 12:15 AM

Hi

I have finalised my itinerary for the 15 days I am in Switzerland, including a short 2N hop into Milan. I am now undecided to whether should I get the 15 days consecutive Swiss Travel Pass or the Half Fare Card (or even the 8D Flexi).

Thr major days of train traveling willl be from 1) Zurich to Chur, 2) Chur to Lugano via Bernina Express, 3) Lugano to Milan, 4) Milan to Bellinzona, 5) Bellinzona to Lucerne via Gotthard Panorama Express, 6) Pilatus, 7) Titlis and 8) Lucerne to Zurich.

Understand that I will need to pay for the Italian portion of the ride.

rockoyster
rockoyster
6439 posts
expert
Apr 15, 2019 - 2:53 AM in reply to Lionel

Hello Lionel,

You need to include bus, boat, cable car and other mountain excursions into your itinerary to make a proper assessment of the best pass.

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

The cost difference between a 15-day consecutive pass and an 8-day flex pass is marginal. The flex pass comes at a premium price.

See also www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Steph
Steph
1372 posts
top member &
Apr 15, 2019 - 9:00 AM in reply to Lionel

Hi Lionel,

As Rockoyster says you will need to know a little more detail about your itinerary in order to calculate accordingly.

For details of the two passes you mention, use below link:
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass
- www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

Look into the timetable link to find out exact travelling times and connections for your stay. Make sure you read how it works, it's a fab tool for planning.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Get back to us for further support.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Apr 15, 2019 - 12:59 PM by Arno
Lionel
Lionel
3 posts
Apr 15, 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. Let me look into the links.

My search on SBB wasn't fruitful and neither did the the Express websites mention about the price and reservation costs.

Arno
Arno
13341 posts
expert &
Apr 15, 2019 - 12:58 PM

Hi Lionel,

Our train pages have links to websites showing the reservation costs. See "More information" on our page www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/tickets, for example. The links in this thread should help you to make a choice, but feel free to let us know if any questions remain.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019