16 day itinerary with seniors in Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    31 May 2019 at 5:36:10 #913320

Hi Malvika

We indeed had 15 days consecutive STP 1st class and we enjoyed all scenic trains. Booking of which was done on the opening day of reservation (I think 2/3 months in advance.)

The travelling was not tiring even while train change at 2/3 places also. As I had planned the Itinerary with minute details like dep/arr time, platform number on arr as well as that of connecting train. So everything worked out like clockwork. You need perfect planning for the trip.

We all 5 people are senior citizen n one member was 75 yrs but we were never tired.

Off course handling the baggage was tedious but we managed.

Our baggage was heavy due to dinnerware but My advice is to travel with 1 bag of the medium size per person so that every one can wheel it

.every station has a ramp n some station have elevators too

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    31 May 2019 at 5:40:41 #913321

Hi

Are you veg or fully non veg ? I mean beef n pork too ?

We had Airbnb at 3 places n hotels at 3 places

If you plan to cook dinners, carry ready to cook masala from suhana

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    31 May 2019 at 7:08:37 #913322

Winterware not dinnerware.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2019 at 7:34:56 #913323

Thanks a lot.

I am little relieved about the baggage now.
    We are going in July which is summer so will be good

We will cook our dinners and have planned for ready meals from here. Thanks will pick up Suhana.

I have not yet done detailed itenary but will do over this weekend.

Please give some tips to plan the itenary.

My rough itenary is shared above but yet to do detailed one.

How many mountains should we do.

We have added one night in Zermatt and reduced 1 night from Lucerne so that we can do Glacier express.

We will not be able to do Bernina express but will do the golden and glacier.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards
    Malvika

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2019 at 7:36:27 #913324

Hi Ajittipnis –

<<“The travelling was not tiring even while train change at 2/3 places also. As I had planned the Itinerary with minute details like dep/arr time, platform number on arr as well as that of connecting train. So everything worked out like clockwork.”>>

Your description matches my experiences over many years of train travel in Switzerland. I find it helpful to make a note of exactly the kind of information you describe. Here are a couple of added thoughts.

There is also a good mobile App to help while traveling:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e/mobile-apps/sbb-mobile.html

If i am planning to explore a place for a while, I sometimes note ( or

check the mobile app for) the departure times for a few trains in the

near future.

The timetable gives you arrival and departure track/platform numbers.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That link in My Swiss Alps is useful because there are a few tips and tricks to help use the timetable and the trains( or other transport modes) effectively. Definitely worth a careful read. After you have a good grasp of the subtleties, you can go directly to the SBB website if you choose:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

Lots of information there. Many routes elected on the timetable will show a map of the start or finish if you scroll down once you have laid out a journey.

And, there are station maps for most of the larger stations to help you understand the distance between platforms:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations.html

Enter a station name on that page to get information about stations, such a lockers, a map, etc.

The work ahead of time avoids confusion when changing trains. However, there is excellent signage in the stations, lots of information about train arrivals and departures, and many stations are really quite small with only 2 or 3 tracks.

The 5 main very large stations have their own listings on this page:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services.html

The only station which I allow a bit of extra time for, when changing trains, is Zürich main station. The signs are clear, but there are several levels of trains. o, you may find your self going up or down escalators or elevators. You can access the platforms on the main track level at the railheads ( the usual mode for a terminus station) but also by a pedestrian tunnel beneath the platforms #3-18 on the ground level that connects the platforms at mid-track. Thus, you do not have to walk all the way to the railheads if you change between those platforms. That can save some time if you are at the wrong end of a very long train when it stops at the terminal.

Slowpoke

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    31 May 2019 at 8:03:49 #913325

Thanks slowpoke for endorsing my experience.

Malvija you need to install SBB APP on your mobile, and also the Google map, these 2 apps will be the essences of your successful tour.

Also plan to rent the Travellers wifi from Zurich Airport which will make you self dependent to travel.

You have less time so plan your itinerary asap in detail.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    31 May 2019 at 8:13:57 #913326

Hi Slowpoke,

With reference to Zürich HB, you say << The signs are clear, but there are several levels of trains. >> I guess that shows how far behind I am on developments there. Where are these other levels, and which trains operate on these levels ? When I was a student, and then in my earlier traveling years, when I did move around by train instead of by car, I was not aware of any levels except the the main one where all the trains stopped at the rail-head. But knowing the Swiss expertise in tunneling, I am not surprised to hear that there are other levels below the one I am (was) familiar with.

Peterli

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2019 at 8:42:37 #913327

Bonjour Peterli-

As the Michelin man says –

Worth the journey!

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/shopville-zuerich-main-station.html

There are longstanding lower levels for the trains to the Sihltal and Uetliberg…tracks 21, 22….

Now there are 30’s and also 40’s at other subterranean levels.

Scroll down for maps.. Download the A4 *.PDF.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/bahnhofplaene/plan-zuerich-hb-a4.pdf.sbbdownload.pdf

The recent expansions of Shopville have left me confused… I have to look at the signs constantly. And, they took away my favorite easy to find sausage stand ( Horber’s). Now I have to go all the way to Bellevue ( Vorderer Sternen) for a good sausage.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2019 at 5:19:54 #913328

Thanks all.

I read about the travellers WiFi at Zurich station. What is it and where can I find it

How is the network.

We have finally booked Glacier express from chur to Zermatt, but could get the reservation available in the afternoon train. Hope this would be a good experience.

We have also booked meals, any idea how the meals are and what is usually served in vegetarian meals.

We did not pay the extra for insurance.

Kindly help.

Malvika

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    1 June 2019 at 5:32:16 #913329

hi

you should pre book it on below link and collect it from your arrival airport and return it at your departure airport. Roughly it will cost you Rs.10000 for unlimited data and the network is very good.

The food in Glacier express is good you will get Daal n Rice , papad n one sabzi, but it depends what you have pre booked. Chicken curry rice is also available. In short Indian food is available.

You can also have wine or beer on board, it’s great experience to have wine on board with awesome scenery around. You will enjoy Glacier express.

http://www.travelerswifi.com

http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2019 at 6:02:24 #913330

Thanks,

I have booked vegetarian meal.

So what do u recommend wifi or lyca/salt SIM card?

Would the afternoon train be scenic?

Are we allowed to carry our own meals and wine as I read somewhere that it’s allowed, however, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

Malvika

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    1 June 2019 at 7:07:30 #913331

Hi

I preferred wi fi router as you can connect many devices to it and whatsapp calling was available. Unless you want to make local calls you can opt for sim card. But for data ( social media n surging ) router is good.

You can carry your own meals n Drinks, no issue at all.

The journey will be very scenic.

You can send me mails to <removed because of the forum rules>.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2019 at 7:18:39 #913332

Thanks everyone for your response.

Have another question, what amount should be ok/enough for travel insurance for 21 days.

Thanks

Malvika

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘16 day itinerary with seniors in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.