16 days honeymoon in Switzerland, September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2020 at 22:12:16 #825002

Hello! This forum has been so helpful already as we’ve started planning the big parts of our honeymoon. I could use help with the finer details before I reserve our hotels. We would love any feedback on our rough itinerary. (I should note, I’ve started looking at the train timetables but have not yet fully researched our pass options.)

We are mid-30s and active, but have no experience with alpine hiking. We are hoping to explore small towns but not spend a lot of time shopping, ride all the trains/gondolas etc. that we can, and do easy and short walks/hikes. We are hoping to be busy and active, but still have plenty of time to relax and enjoy each day without rushing.

My questions are these: with what little information and detail I know at the moment, what would you change? Should we do Montreux before Zermatt or Wengen? Are we missing anything that we should consider instead? Thank you all in advance for your help!

Arrive Zurich Aug 31 late afternoon. Drop bags at hotel, enjoy dinner and head to bed to adjust to the time zone change from California USA.

Day 1 – TBD; possible explore Zurich + day trip to Lichtenstein or train to Lucerne

Day 2 – 4 – Lucerne. Pilatus, Titlis, Rigi, Chapel Bridge.

Day 5 – 9 – Wengen. Jungfrau + Klein Scheidegg, Schilthorn + Murren, Lauterbrunnen Valley, other TBD.

Day 10 – 12 – Zermatt. Betten, Bettermeralp, Gornergrat, hike the 5 Lakes, other TBD.

Day 13 – 15 – Montreux – planning to take the Golden Pass from Visp to Montreux. Followed by visits to wineries and stops at Rochers-de-Naye, the Chillon Castle, Glacier 3000 and other TBD.

Day 16 – morning in Montreux, train to Zurich

Day 17 – early morning departure

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 January 2020 at 6:20:17 #928733

Hello cbianchi and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Sounds like a pretty good itinerary.

The MOB Golden Pass runs between Zweisimmen and Montreux (although the full tourist oriented route is marketed as starting at Luzern and proceeding via Interlaken), not between Visp and Montreux. You can go from Visp to Spiez to Zweisimmen but that’s a long way round. I would take the direct route.

You might find the following trip reports give yo some inspiration (if nothing else there are pictures 😉):

From Wengen(?) go to Zermatt via Kandersteg for the most scenic route.

Based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

For checking timetables see http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables.

Enjoy.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    26 January 2020 at 14:34:42 #928734

Hi Cbianchi

I think it is very wise to include some hiking in your itinerary especially in the Jungfrau area. The experience of seeing the spectacular scenery on even a short hike is , in my opinion, much superior to just getting off a train stop or cable car and looking around (like at Kleine Scheidegg).

A couple of points. Having no alpine hiking experience really doesn’t much matter. The trails in the Jungfrau area are well marked and maintained with good footing. You will not need any technical hiking knowledge. But I would recommend a small backpack, comfortable walking shoes, and perhaps a walking stick or hiking poles. Perhaps the most important piece of equipment is your camera.

When you say you want short easy hikes that can mean different things to different people. A hike can be hard due to its length or how much elevation change is necessary, or a combination of both. Are you interested in hikes of no more than 30 minutes, 1 hour ? Or would you be interested in 2-3 hour hikes if they were flat or downhill ? Depending on your answer I can adjust my recommendations but of course the longer your willing to walk the more options you will have.

Last I wouldn’t much worry too much about altitude unless you are very sensitive. Most of the alpine hikes will not be over 6-8000 feet.

Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 January 2020 at 15:26:55 #928735

Hi cbianchi –

<<“Arrive Zurich Aug 31 late afternoon. Drop bags at hotel, enjoy dinner and head to bed to adjust to the time zone change from California USA.”>>

Nice time of year to travel. I like early September my self.

Many years of experience traveling to Switzerland from East Coast USA, sometimes directly, sometimes via Frankfurt, has led to the following recommendation, also shared with my fellow business travelers who needed to be functional the next day …. if possible ;-(

Even if you have to take a very short nap upon arrival , get up, and stay up as late as possible on your arrival night. Try very hard to go to bed at something approximating a normal Swiss bedtime. Otherwise, you may wake up at 3AM (9 AM US East Coast time) , not be able to go back to sleep for hours, and start a cycle of several days with that problem.

Since you are coming from California, possibly that middle of the night wake up might shift to a few hours later, …which might fine. ‘ve never tried it. But, our collective opinion was that we tended to wake up at a time corresponding roughly to our early morning on the East Coast, unless we forced our selves to stay up late the first night. It helped to get some exercise, too…add a bit of physical tiredness. Jungfrau Region

The Jungfrau Marathon –

<<“28th Jungfrau-Marathon 11 / 12 September 2020. “>>

fills the area with tourists. Looks like you’ll get out just in time. If you move Wengen a couple of days later, you’ll have problems with the crowds.

Hotel rooms may be busy with people coming early…otherwise, September is less full of tourists than is August.

Hikes –

I’ll beat Mark to the punch. 😉

He knows what I’ll recommend first for any level of experience, because it is so scenic and easy…..although will have plenty of walkers on it. Easy enough that the locals sometimes call it “The Grannies’ Walk.”

http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Check that link for an example of the kind of information provided for each hike…altitudes, how to get there, etc.

Some relevant pictures taken over the years on that walk are attached. Some include my 8 year old granddaughter in 2009.

Beyond that recommendation, he has a lot more recent hiking experience around the region than I do, and he’ll provide a good perspective.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2020 at 18:00:39 #928736

Thank you rockoyster for the trip review links; I had not read any of those yet. Good tip on the Golden Pass, too! I downloaded the spreadsheet calculator but admittedly got a bit overwhelmed. I haven’t regularly used public transportation in 15 years, that part of my brain is a bit dusty. Focusing on the travel pass and timetables is on my to-do list to figure out and finalize this week! I see that you based in Thun. Is there a specific reason you chose to do so? (I am not sure how to find the trip report from Maggie that you referenced…??) I picked Wengen as a base due to all the reviews for the charm, but am open to reconsidering.

Hi Mark, I did leave a bit of ambiguity around short/easy hikes! We are comfortable with up to a 4-hour hike and up to a few hundred feet of elevation change. Our goal is to enjoy our time and while we’d like a few hikes that push our limits, we’d want to balance our days with some flat and downhill (less strenuous) hikes. We do a fair amount of camping and hiking here in California and I struggle with altitude beginning around 10000 feet. I usually need a day or so to acclimate before I can hike above 10,000 feet. We’ll be traveling with a day pack, trail shoes, and hiking poles – and of course, water – better to be prepared. We would appreciate any tips or suggestions! And, if you have any links to resources or a recommended book to buy, mapping our hikes will be on my to-do list just as soon as I figure out the train schedules and our hotels J

Hello, slowpoke. We are always shoulder season travelers, no matter where we go – especially the national parks here in the US. That’s a great tip about the time change and one we always try to follow, too. Appreciate your insight into the timing of the Jungfrau marathon – it seems from the feedback so far that our itinerary makes sense, so I will be sure not to adjust the timing. I made the mistake once of visiting Paris during Bastille day celebrations and didn’t realize until it was too late… lesson learned J I’ve seen your posts on the Grannies Walk before – it’s on our list!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 January 2020 at 19:39:53 #928737

Hi cbianchi –

<<“We are always shoulder season travelers, no matter where we go””>>

Shoulder season in the Jungfrau Region is probably October.

Thanks for all the details. That is good guidance on hikes.

Most of the ones that we recommend tend to be at about 2000-2500 meters or below.

Since you are experienced hikers, you may find this topo map useful:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2639175.49&N=1161256.37&zoom=6

The color coding for the trails is explained well on the Switzerland Mobility web site. I’ve often wondered why they don’t follow it on their own maps, which seem to be based on the same (military) database.

I always look over hikes on that web site, because my knees are troublesome enough that I need to choose my hikes with care these days.

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/wanderland/wanderland.html.

and, in particular:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/wanderland/more-wl/hiking-trail-network-and-signalization.html

Possibly of interest:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/wanderland/more-wl/swiss-hiking-trail-federation.html

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/wanderland/more-wl/swiss-hiking-trail-federation.html

My experience has been that the Jungfrau Marathon crowds dissipate quickly. I just don’t know about the buildup.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 January 2020 at 20:12:34 #928738

We chose Thun because we wanted the flexibility of being able to travel all over the Bernese Oberland. We only spent one day in the Jungfrau region. If you want to be “in the mountains” then Wengen is the perfect spot.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 0:09:54 #928739

Hi cbianchi –

In addtion to the online map I linked,

the Swisstopo web site has a great variety of maps:

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/

What sort of book did you have in mind?

Kev Reynolds “Hiking in the Alps ” in various editions and names is the classic.

My favorite “Wandern Alpin” in German is apparently no longer in print.

I just found this site…seems to have a few more details on the the marked trails (die Wanderwege.”

http://www.wandern.ch/de/signalisation/alpinwanderweg

This has trail info near Wengen, as as well as a lot of other useful information:

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Some links may be obsolete, but the information is still sound.

You will find very few trails in the higher regions that meet your “levelness ” requirements. For a Swiss hiker, anything less than a 45 degree slope is level ground. At least, when they post travel times on the trail signs, they don’t seem to care how level the trails are. 😉

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 January 2020 at 0:14:38 #928740

Does this count as a “book”. It should I think (some out of date links notwithstanding).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2020 at 13:03:35 #928741

Hello Cbianci,

Nice to hear you’re planning your honeymoon in Switzerland.

As you say you’re not too familiar with hiking generally, make sure to also check out the informative link below:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Best,
    Steph

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    27 January 2020 at 16:38:24 #928742

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and the honeymoon trip to Switzerland! Wonderful idea. We were there last October for 15 days and visited some of the same places you noted. We ended up buying a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass, and used it extensively for trains, cogwheel trains, gondolas, boats, and buses. Great convenience for last minute changes of plans and “catching the next train” (or the boat just pulling in) without worrying about getting a ticket.

Day 1 – I agree with staying up as late as possible your first night to adjust to the time difference. We did that and still woke up at 4 am the first couple days. A good way to spend your first morning in Zurich is to take a walking tour of the Old Town section, including St. Peter’s and the Grossmunster and Fraumunster churches, with a brief stop at Lindenhof Park overlooking the river. We also took a day trip to Leichtenstein “just because” and that was enjoyable too. However, it is roughly 1.5 hours each way, plus time for walking around, so that may be trying to do too much on your first day if combined with the Old Town walk. However, if you go to Vaduz, I highly recommend the Made in Italy restaurant. Small, but excellent food, and cash only; they take Swiss francs.

Days 2-4 – We spent most of our time in Luzern, with day trips to all the places you mentioned. Being so close to Luzern, it is easy to do the mountain trips in one day, or do two mountains in one day. Each one has a different feel to it, with Pilatus and Titlis a bit more of the “in the Alps” environment. Rigi is lower and gentler, but more easy walking trails at top. Pilatus has very limited walking but the short rock tunnel walk around the top, the expansive plaza, and modern infrastructure combined with isolation are quite nice. Titlis is higher, and quite impressive. If you go to Titlis, you will also go right by the Stanserhorn, so you could do both easily in less than one day. The Stanserhorn also has a short walk around the mountain top that is deceptively not as easy as it looks, especially if you’re not yet adjusted to altitude; we didn’t think that short walk from the restaurant plaza/upper gondola station to the top would take more than 5 minutes or so, but we stopped twice along the way. Wonderful views there too, and fully covered if you have a STP, as is Rigi.

Old town Luzern is delightful, and the Chapel Bridge rafter paintings are interesting, so be sure to look up as you walk across. The Rathaus Brauerei is a wonderful spot to have a cold refreshment, or dinner, while in the area and is fortuitously located very close to one end of the Chapel Bridge.

Days 5-9 – We visited the Schilthorn and Kleine Scheidegg during one of our day trips. Unfortunately our morning trip to the Schilthorn was during a cloudy period, so the views weren’t as spectacular as we hoped. But where else can you have your picture taken next to George Lazenby/James Bond? On our way back we stopped at Kleine Scheidegg for an outdoor lunch in full sunshine. No better way to enjoy the view of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau than that. The train station restaurant serves an excellent rosti.

A few final suggestions: Be sure to download the SBB timetable app to your phone or tablet, it is invaluable for traveling and making last minute changes as the mood strikes you. Get the Traveler’s WiFi for your trip. It is small, slips in your pocket, lasts all day, worked everywhere we went, and allows you to use that SBB timetable on your phone anywhere. And last but not least, be sure to check the mountaintop weather cams before heading out for the day. The weather on top is not always the same as it is at your hotel.

Have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2020 at 17:49:06 #928743

Slowpoke – thank you, thank you! I have not had a chance to look at the maps and links yet, but will this week! They are much appreciated. I did purchase Kev Reynolds’ Hiking in the Alps, but do need to spend more time with the book (and a country map!) to better understand everything. I found Kim’s review of Wengen incredibly helpful when I first started planning, glad to know it’s still a solid recommendation!

Looks like we will need to get out on the mountains here and spend some time with a stair-stepper in the gym to better prepare. Luckily for me, we can run the stairs from the cliffs down to the beach. Beautiful scenery should help with the training!

Rockoyster – looks like a book to me! Can’t wait to dig in this week. Thank you for sharing!

Steph – appreciate the link. I briefly browsed the page, but will be digging into the details now that our rough itinerary and most of our hotels are finalized.

CabinJon – I am leaning toward the 15-day travel pass as well, but plan to spend time in the spreadsheet and calculator this week to confirm my suspicion. SBB app is already downloaded thanks to the wonderful recommendations on this forum! I will look into the Traveler’s WiF, too.

Appreciate the tip on Liechtenstein – my fiancé would like to go, but we do not have any firm plans for day one. In fact, we’re leaning now towards spending part of our first day at the Swiss Knife Valley visitor center; my fiancé would like to assemble his own and return home with a souvenir. We will likely stick to Old Town Zurich, too, as we are not fans of visiting or spending time in cities typically.

Where did you stay in Luzern? That is the one location I have not booked a hotel yet; did you like where you stayed?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 18:33:00 #928744

I stay at Hotel des Alpes in Luzern if I feel rich. It is on the list of recommendations of this My Swiss Alps website. River view. Similar to attached, somewhat different angle.

Otherwise, I stay at Gasthaus Engel in Sachseln, 20 minutes away with frequent train service.

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/review-of-an-inn-in-sachseln-near-luzern

Traditionally, I spent time on the Rigi, but my choice for many years (Hotel Bergsonne) has changed hands. No longer a special kitchen and wine cellar.

One try of Hotel Edelweiss at Rigi Staffelhöhe has been quite nice. Also, Hotel Central am See in Weggis has been reliable and good, great views, nice rooms, and, last year I found that they had finally upgraded their kitchen. Now definitely worth eating there .

Slowpoke

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    27 January 2020 at 19:13:54 #928745

cbianchi – There is a message at the top of this sub-forum for a 15% discount on the Traveler’s WiFI that is valid only until Jan 31, so if you’re thinking about it, that’s about as cheap as you will find it. We bought & reserved the WiFI online using a link from the Swiss Travel Center where we purchased our STPs, and at that time they offered a 20% discount on the WiFi when purchasing a STP; I’m not sure of they have a current offer for that or not. We picked up the Traveler’s WiFi at the Service Center in the Zurich airport and returned it to the same place. Very easy and you can grab it after getting your luggage, stopping at the ATM for some Swiss francs, and before heading down to the train station on the lower level of the airport for the short trip to Zurich city.

I didn’t mean to disparage going to Liechtenstein, it was very interesting and doesn’t take too long to explore parts of it since Vaduz itself is very small. It isn’t too much to combine a trip there and some time in Old Town Zurich, especially since you’ll have lots of daylight in September, but it may be a bit much on your first full day in country. On our first day, we didn’t get to our hotel until about 1:30 or 2, so we dropped our bags, caught a tram to the Lake Zurich docks and took a boat ride to Rapperswill and caught a train back to Zurich. We went to Liechtenstein the second day and explored Old Town Zurich the morning of the third day before heading to Luzern.

The Swiss Knife Valley Visitor Center is in Brunnen, on Lake Luzern. I’d leave that for day 2 if you go and use day 1 to get adjusted to time and exploring Zurich and/or Liechtenstein. We went to the Swiss Knife Valley Visitor Center in 2018 and to the Victorinox Factory Outlet in Schwyz, which is a short bus ride from Brunnen, last year. You can build your own knife at the Museum in Brunnen but not at the factory store in Schwyz. The factory store does have a rotating selection of “seconds” knives (off center logo, etc.) at a decent discount in case you go.

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in Luzern last year and the year before. Loved it. It is a small hotel, no bar but an attached and separately managed restaurant/lounge. The staff is very friendly, polite, and helpful, and it is clean and well maintained. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Luzern train station and boat docks, about 8-10 minutes from the Chapel Bridge and old town Luzern. There are many other hotels in that same area. Check the Accommodations link on this site for alternatives.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 19:32:44 #928746

<<“Renaissance Hotel in Luzern l”>>

Looks like a good location, and right next door to Sammlung Rosengart. Fantastic exhibit of Klees, and lots of Picasso.

And, you don’t pay extra for the riverside ambience, as you do at the des Alpes.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 19:39:07 #928747

<<“We went to the Swiss Knife Valley Visitor Center in 2018 and to the

Victorinox Factory Outlet in Schwyz, which is a short bus ride from

Brunnen, last year. You can build your own knife at the Museum in

Brunnen but not at the factory store in Schwyz. The factory store does

have a rotating selection of “seconds” knives (off center logo, etc.) at

a decent discount in case you go.”>>

I like Schwyz.

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/schwyz-and-the-ital-reding-house

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    27 January 2020 at 21:58:12 #928748

Hi Cbianchi

Since you are going to be in Wengen for 3-4 days and are interested in some easy hikes up tp 4 hrs, I will suggest some options and include some photos at the end. Note estimated hiking times are based roughly on a 1.5 MPH pace and do not take into account stops or uphill vs downhill.

Slowpoke’s suggestion of Maennlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is an easy, slightly downhill, and very scenic walk. It will take you about 1.20 hrs. If you would like to extend your walk you can hike up from KS to Eigergletscher (another 1.20 hrs). It is uphill but you are walking directly toward the base of Monch and the Eiger with beautiful views ahead and on either side. (see photo ) You can then return to KS by train. Another option is hiking from KS to Wengernalp (1.5 hrs) It is downhill, easy, and nice close up views of Jungfrau on your left for much of the way. Then train to Wengen. We actually did all 3 legs and made it back to Wengen by mid afternoon.

Another very popular and scenic hike is First to Bachalpsee (50 minutes one way). Instead of returning the same way which 90% do, I would highly recommend continuing downhill to Waldspitz and having lunch at the restaurant there and then continue down to Bort where you can take the cable car back to Grindelwald. (total time hiking 2.45 hrs mostly downhill) The section near Waldspitz is one of my personal favorites for scenery.

Another classic hike is the Eiger trail. It is rated 2.50 hrs and is much easier going the direction from Eigergletcher to Alpiglen (downhill). You hike along the base of the Eiger on the right and Grindelwald valley on the left. There is a nice restaurant for lunch at Alpiglen.

If you are interested in a very short and easy hike you walk from First to Grosse Scheidegg (which has a nice restaurant ) then bus back to Grindelwald.(1.15 hrs )

Last the Panaramaweg cliff top walk at Schynige Platte is spectacular. You walk along a cliff with views of Interlaken lakes on one side and mountains on the other. The loop SP to Laucherhorn and back to SP takes about 2.30 hrs and is mostly flat.

I hope this is helpful. I don’t think you will regret 1 minute of your hiking in the Jungfrau area which is world class. It is a much different experience (and to me much preferred) to the touristy and crowded Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn but that is solely a personal opinion. Mark

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    27 January 2020 at 22:40:27 #928749

Hi Rockoyster

In response to your post on Kim’s “book”, I too think it’s a timeless marvel. The time she spent preparing it and its inclusiveness are a lasting testament and legacy to her knowledge of the area. Like her I’ve hiked the Bavarian, French, and Italian Alps and find the BO alps to be my favorite.

Hiking in the Jungfrau area is definitely in my top 5 world wide. My list in no particular order would be B.O, Tores de Paine, Denali, Milford Trek, and probably southern Utah. (although it does pain me to leave out Yosemite, Jasper, and Fitzroy ). Mark

Annika
    7121 posts
    28 January 2020 at 13:17:52 #928750

Hi CabinJon and cbianchi! The Traveler’s Wifi discount is still available, until January 31. Here’s the information CabinJon referred to: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/15-discount-on-unlimited-fast-wifi-in-switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2020 at 4:04:02 #928751

slowpoke – thank you for the recommendation and review on Gasthaus Engel. It sounds wonderful!

CabinJon – great tip on the Traveler’s WiFi. I will definitely do that, such a great deal. I’m still unsure exactly about how we’ll spend that first full day, but something tells me we’ll end up at the Museum for sure at some point while we’re near Luzern. I’ll check out the Renaissance, thank you for the recommendation. Sounds conveniently located.

Mark – we are so appreciative of your hiking suggestions. A few of those were not yet on my radar, but are now on my list, so thank you! Also, I agree that Denali and southern Utah beat Yosemite. So do the Tetons in my book.

• The thread ‘16 days honeymoon in Switzerland, September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.