17 Sept Bern to Chamonix, Mt. Blanc Express closed

• Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    8 July 2019 at 14:32:09 #822732

Hello all.

I had great plans on 17 September to go from Bern to Montreux, take a boat ride, then continue to Chamonix for three nights.

But it Iooks like the Mont Blanc Express stops running on 8 September???

So my best/only option is to take the train to the Geneva airport and take a shuttle??

Is there another route I’m missing? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2019 at 23:13:50 #917297

The problem with Martigny – Chamonix is that involves French railways. French railways are notorious for poor and confusing timetabling.

There are two possible reasons

1) there is engineering work planned for the Autumn period. This is possible as in that area Autumn is the low season between the busy summer season and the ski season.

2) the French simply haven’t loaded their post 9 September timetables into the ‘European timetable computer’

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    10 July 2019 at 1:05:36 #917298

You’re spot on, 1960man!

Got this reply from Chamonix.com: “The Mont blanc Express train is working after the 8th of September. It is just that the time schedule is not know yet after this date. You should be able to find it from mid August.”

Oh brother.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 23:54:22 #917299

I thank you!

To underline the point, Swiss draft timetables for 2020 are already in existence (though not published in final form), in contrast to France where some timetables for the period after July were only recently published.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 0:24:01 #917300

<<“To underline the point, Swiss draft timetables for 2020 are already in

existence (though not published in final form), in contrast to France

where some timetables for the period after July were only recently

published.”>>

One more reason that travel in Switzerland works well. I have never been involved in planning some kind of SUCCESSFUL complex industrial project, where the planning was still not done until well before the start date. These things don’t happen unless work is done well ahead of time.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 0:28:07 #917301

Well, for contrast, try Italy.

You will consider what you have just experienced as a minor annoyance, compared to using the Italian version of a scheduling system.

But, the food is good.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 July 2019 at 6:07:02 #917302

Quando in Italia, fai come gli italiani.

• The thread ‘17 Sept Bern to Chamonix, Mt. Blanc Express closed’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.