17 Sept Bern to Chamonix, Mt. Blanc Express closed

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Meemskirk
Meemskirk
40 posts
Jul 8, 2019 - 2:32 PM

Hello all.

I had great plans on 17 September to go from Bern to Montreux, take a boat ride, then continue to Chamonix for three nights.

But it Iooks like the Mont Blanc Express stops running on 8 September???

So my best/only option is to take the train to the Geneva airport and take a shuttle??

Is there another route I'm missing? Thank you!

1960man
1960man
1885 posts
top member
Jul 8, 2019 - 11:13 PM in reply to Meemskirk

The problem with Martigny - Chamonix is that involves French railways. French railways are notorious for poor and confusing timetabling.

There are two possible reasons

1) there is engineering work planned for the Autumn period. This is possible as in that area Autumn is the low season between the busy summer season and the ski season.

2) the French simply haven't loaded their post 9 September timetables into the 'European timetable computer'

Last modified on Jul 8, 2019 - 11:14 PM by 1960man
Meemskirk
Meemskirk
40 posts
Jul 10, 2019 - 1:05 AM

You're spot on, 1960man!

Got this reply from Chamonix.com: "The Mont blanc Express train is working after the 8th of September. It is just that the time schedule is not know yet after this date. You should be able to find it from mid August."

Oh brother.

Thanks.

1960man
1960man
1885 posts
top member
Jul 10, 2019 - 11:54 PM in reply to Meemskirk

I thank you!

To underline the point, Swiss draft timetables for 2020 are already in existence (though not published in final form), in contrast to France where some timetables for the period after July were only recently published.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jul 11, 2019 - 12:24 AM in reply to 1960man

<<"To underline the point, Swiss draft timetables for 2020 are already in

existence (though not published in final form), in contrast to France

where some timetables for the period after July were only recently

published.">>

One more reason that travel in Switzerland works well. I have never been involved in planning some kind of SUCCESSFUL complex industrial project, where the planning was still not done until well before the start date. These things don't happen unless work is done well ahead of time.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jul 11, 2019 - 12:28 AM in reply to Meemskirk

Well, for contrast, try Italy.

You will consider what you have just experienced as a minor annoyance, compared to using the Italian version of a scheduling system.

But, the food is good.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jul 11, 2019 - 12:28 AM by Slowpoke
Peterli
Peterli
870 posts
top member
Jul 11, 2019 - 6:07 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Quando in Italia, fai come gli italiani.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019