18-day June train itinerary throughout Switzerland

• BG2019
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 May 2021 at 3:48:46 #825832

Hello!

I’m planning a trip to Switzerland with my parents (it’s been my mum’s dream to go!) so we’ll be headed there end of May 2022, into the first two week of June. I wanted to get thoughts on the itinerary, as well as which travel passes to get:

May 26 – Arrive early morning in Zurich, local sightseeing (overnight in Zurich)

May 27 – Train to Rhine Falls, boat tour to Stein Am Rhein, train back to Zurich (overnight in Zurich)

May 28 – Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano, and then back to St. Moritz (overnight in St. Moritz)

May 29 – Glacier Express to Zermatt (overnight in Zermatt)

May 30 – Gornergrat Railway and Zermatt town (overnight in Zermatt)

May 31 – Kleines Matterhorn, Sunnegga funicular and train to Lausanne (overnight in Lausanne)

June 1 – Day trip to Gruyeres (overnight in Lausanne)

June 2 – Day in Lausanne, train to Montreux (overnight in Montreux)

June 3 – Day in Montreux (Chateau Chillon) and Rochers de Naye (overnight in Montreux)

June 4 – Golden Pass train Montreux to Interlaken, day on Lake Thun, Harder Kulm (overnight in Interlaken)

June 5 – Mountain visit: Jungfraujoch (train to Kleine Scheidegg, cog wheel up) and return via Eigergletscher (overnight in Grindewald)

June 6 -Mountain visit: cable up to First, hike to Bachalpsee (overnight in Grindewald)

June 7 – Head to Murren: cable car to Grütschalp/Birg and the summit of the Schilthorn. Return via Stechelberg on the funicular. Catch a bus from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen (overnight in Wengen)

Juneb8 – Morning Wilderswil to Schynige Platte, Staubbach/Trummelbach Falls (overnight in Wengen)

June 9 – Train to Brienz, Rothorn Bahn and Lake Brienz (overnight in Brienz)

June 10 – Train to Lucerne, trip to Mount Rigi, old town

June 11 – Golden Roundrip to Pilatus, Lake Lucerne

June 12 – Mount Titlis, head to Geneva

June 13 – Day in town, boat on Lake Geneva, return home

I know a lot of it is weather dependent, so we may not hit all the mountains (I feel like we have the 5th day in Jungfrau region as a buffer in case of bad weather and need to swap days around), we do move around a lot but my parents are ok with that as they also know we want to cover a lot. But not sure if we should stay in Wengen or Murren, or even Lauterbrunnen. And I’m thinking a 15-day Swiss Travel Pass, but should I pair it with another one? With all the mountains we’re visiting, maybe the Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau pass? And then the 3 days in Lucerne I’m thinking of getting the Tell Pass.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    14 May 2021 at 8:34:51 #935019

Hi BG2019,

Thanks for sharing your itinerary. I think it’s a well-planned one and certainly do-able.

A few things I would change:

• I would probably just spend one night in Zurich and head out to St Moritz on the second day after the trip to Stein am Rhein. You could store your luggage at the train station if heavy luggage is your concern. Information about storing luggage at the train stations here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage
    • I would reconsider spending a night in Lausanne and instead spend an extra night in Montreux and plan Lausanne as a day trip.
    • After the Golden Pass, overnight in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald instead of Interlaken. For your trip in the Jungfrau region, I would certainly recommend picking out just one base (Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald or Wengen) . The train system is very efficient , you may need to spend a bit more on time on the journey but it’s certainly better than packing, unpacking and moving hotels every two days.
    • After the trip to the Brienzer Rothorn, instead of staying overnight in Brienz I would take the train and spend an extra night in Lucerne or extend my stay in the Jungfrau region.

As for which rail pass would work best, for complete flexibility I would invest in the a 15-day and 3-day Swiss Travel Pass to cover the entire trip including the journey to Geneva on the last day.

These are just my thoughts and I hope it will give you some ideas about planning your trip.

Best regards,

Anna

Willdenvally
    Participant
    34 posts
    14 May 2021 at 23:28:59 #935020

Hi BG2019

A well thought out itinerary. I hope to travel to Switzerland as well.

Good Luck.

Regards

William

dayhikers
    Participant
    22 posts
    15 May 2021 at 17:27:49 #935021

You are doing a lot of back and forth over the same train tracks. Download the map of the rail system from this site: Swiss Travel Pass area of validity (myswissalps.com). Plan sort of a circular route through the areas you want to visit. Luzerne is very close to Zurich, and if you go to Luzerne after Interlaken, you will just go back over the same route to Montreux. Save Lausanne/Montreux for the end, when you will then be very near your leaving point of Geneva. Lausanne and Monrtreux are less than 1 hour apart. You can stay in one or the other until you have to take the train to Geneva, and can do a lake cruise from either location. Do a bit of land sightseeing in Geneva if you have time before your plane back. Stay in just one of the towns you mentioned – Interlaken, Wengen, Murren, Grindelvald. You can get to Schynige Platte from any of them. You’ll save travel and packing time! Enjoy your holiday!

• The thread ‘18-day June train itinerary throughout Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.