19 days Bernese Oberland-Zermatt-Lake Geneva

• Gracey
    Participant
    1 post
    6 August 2022 at 8:51:10 #827990

Hi, I would like some advise on the itinerary below. I will be travelling on the Swiss travel pass and getting the Half-fare card.

1) Are there too many activities packed in one day for Jungfrau region (Day 2 to Day 7) or should I extend one more night stay? I will be staying at Wengen during Day 1 to Day 9.

2) From Zermatt to Montreux, I will be taking my luggage bag along. I am wondering if I should go from Zermatt – Montreux- Aiguille du Midi (day trip) – Montreux (so that I can leave my luggage at the hotel and do a day trip to Chamonix) or I should do Zermatt-Chamonix-Montreux. However, the first option is where the time it takes to get from Zermatt directly to Montreux is long (2h 40 mins) and inefficient.

Day 1: Zurich airport – Interlaken, Lake Brienz, Thun

Day 2: Paragliding, Hader Klum

Day 3: Schynigye Platte

Day 4: Grindelwald & First, Balchapsee

Day 5: Grindelwald – Top of EuropeWengen

Day 6: Grindelwald – Mannilichen – Kleine Sch

Day 7: Gimmelwald – Murren (hot baths, Alpine Sportscenter) – Schlithorn

Day 8: Lauterbrunnen, trummelfalls

Day 9: Free day

Day 10: Kanderstag – Oeschinensee

Day 11 – 12: Brig – Zermatt, Gonergrat (Glacier Express train)

Da 13: Zermatt – Chamonix Aiguille du Midi, reach Montreux evening

Day 14-15: Montreux, Gruyères, Geneva

Day 16: Interlaken (take Golden Pass train)

Da 17-19: Zurich

Greatly appreciate any advise or feedback! Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    6 August 2022 at 14:58:52 #945255

Hi Gracey,

Thanks for sharing your itinerary. This is certainly doable. Visiting just 1 -2 destinations each day day will allow you more time explore the places you are visiting.

To answer your questions:
    1. I think spending 9 days in Wengen is suffiicient based on your plans in the Jungfrau region and Bernese Oberland.
    2. I would stick with Zermatt – Chamonix – Montreux. Unfortunately there is no longer a left luggage facility at the Chamonix train station but you can find various private storage facility which charges by the hour.

I’ve included links on your post so you can just click on them for more details.

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2022 at 23:58:51 #945256

1) your stay in the Jungfrau region is more than long enough in my opinion. Bear in mind that the area is small (smaller than one large city elsewhere in the world (eg Greater London in UK or New York USA). You can see many parts of the region from the other places you visit (for example the Jungfrau mountain is easily seen from Murren. Taken to extreme, it is actually possible to see all the key sights in the Jungfrau are in a single day!

Day 11 – 12; Brig – Zermatt would be done by regular regional train. It is pointless taking the Glacier express just for that journey

Day 13: You will need to leave Zermatt early to get to Chamonix , spend time there, then go to Montreux.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 August 2022 at 9:24:38 #945257

Hello Gracey, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

That looks like a good itinerary to me. For your transfer from Kandersteg to Brig-Zermatt I recommend the scenic Lötschberg train route: https://www.myswissalps.com/lotschberger.

One additional remark: you mentioned you’ll be having both the Swiss Travel Pass as well as the Swiss Half Fare Card. Is that correct? That could work if you use a 15-day Swiss Travel Pass for days 1-15, and then the Swiss Half Fare Card for the remaining trips of day 16-19. You’ll find details on both passes below:

Let me know if I haven’t understood this correctly :-)!

• The thread ‘19 days Bernese Oberland-Zermatt-Lake Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.