1st class and 2nd class diffdefence for adult & Yo

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2014 at 8:37:19 #806651

Hi,I am considering to purchase either a Swiss saver pass or the Swiss flexible pass. I have a child 15 years old and another one 18 years old.When I tried to book 2 adult pass and add in the 15 year old child for free travel, I can only select 1st class for adult tickets right?. And to save cost I tick the option of family travelling together. But that would not allow me to add in the older kid cause for her I can only book a youth pass and can only select under 2nd class. Does that means we cannot be seated together or make reservations for the same coach section?

Lastly if at the start of the trip, the second child is 15 years old but turns 16 at the last 2 days of the trip, does the child need to purchase tickets for the last 2 days of travel?Thank you for your advise

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    23 September 2014 at 9:59:00 #841101

Hi mytravel,

This should not happen when ordering a Swiss Pass. I’m not sure but perhaps you are either trying to order the wrong pass or using the wrong website. The main websites to order a Swiss Pass from are listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isspass/price. Since you are from Singapore it makes sense to get your passes through your local reseller: http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ pass/swiss-pass. If you order there you can get a 2nd class Swiss Saver Pass for two adults and a Swiss Family Card for the 15 year old. The age on the first travel day must be 15 or younger to enjoy free traveling for the entire pass duration. So in your case your child can travel for free during the whole trip.

You don’t need seat reservations, unless you plan to travel with the Glacier Express or a few other tourist trains. Please see this page for details: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.

Did this answer your questions?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2014 at 18:08:25 #841102

Hi Annika,

I did try the purchase from the country specific reseller: http://www.raileurope. com.sg/pass/swiss-pass. This is what happen. I selected the 8 days/8 days Pass and select for 2 Adult and add in a Family card selection to included travel for the child 15 years old turning 16 years old by end Dec 2014. I checked on the selection for 2nd Class. To get a better price for the pass I check on the <Family/Friends Fare>. Once I did that I cannot select an addition Youth pass in the same order. Once I unchecked the <Family/Friends Fares> then I will be able to add in one Youth pass in the same order window.

My questions : Is it alright for me to put the 2 Adults + Child with Family Card (my second child do qualify right?) and checked <Family/Friends Fares> in one order and then buy another Youth Pass in a second order? We will still able to travel as a family together right? I should have no problem making reservation as I read in the forum reservation is separate from the pass purchase?

Annika
    7104 posts
    24 September 2014 at 18:34:23 #841103

Hi mytravel,

Thanks for explaining that, I now understand what happened. There are no family/friend fares for the Youth Pass, so that’s why the Youth Pass can’t be selected after selecting the family/friend option. I see how that’s confusing. However, you don’t need to place two orders. This is what you do:

1. Select the 8-day pass and fill out 2 adults, 1 child in Family Card, and select family/friend fares;
    2. Click the Add to Cart button;
    3. Go back to the same page. Select the 8-day pass and fill out 1 youth.
    4. Click the Add to Cart button and proceed to pay for your order. And don’t forget the promo code to get a discount!

If you need reservations you can order them along with the passes. However, you don’t need reservations for most trains. See the last link in my previous post for details. If you still want to purchase them later, that’s no problem either.

Please let me know if all worked out now. I hope so!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2014 at 18:41:39 #841104

Hi Annika,

Thank You for the clarification.

I just want to be absolutely sure that any child below the age of 16 can travel with an adult when the pass is purchased with <child with Family card>. Thanks

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 September 2014 at 6:21:33 #841105

Hi mytravel,

If it’s your child, not “any” child, then yes, traveling along for free with the adults is exactly what this option gives you. More information is on the Family Card page.

• The thread ‘1st class and 2nd class diffdefence for adult & Yo’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.