1st class seat Glacier Express with 2nd class pass

• tinz
    Participant
    13 posts
    4 July 2019 at 3:11:06 #822636

Dear all,

May i know if one is holding a 2nd class Eurail Global Pass, will she be able to book herself on first class seat reservation on the Glacier express?

Understand that it is possible to do so with the Swiss travel Pass with the requirement to pay the fare difference at the local train station, may i know if the same apply to Eurail please?

Any advices are appreciated! Thank you. 🙂

Best Regards,

Tinz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2019 at 3:39:18 #916868

Hi Tinz,

Interesting question. My impression is that this would be possible. The Eurail Global Pass is the equivalent of a full-fare 2nd class ticket so I can’t see why a class upgrade would not work. Don’t hold me to it. You could email SBB to check with them but as far as they are concerned the Glacier Express is just a regular rail route.

Note: If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade.

If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price (using either website of SBB app). An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2019 at 6:03:22 #916869

Hi Tinz,

I agree, it is possible. I would purchase this at the station though, to be sure you’re getting the right upgrade. Upgrades don’t sell out. Reservations do sell out, so those should be purchased asap: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/tickets.

tinz
    Participant
    13 posts
    4 July 2019 at 6:20:14 #916870

Thank you to both @rockoyster and @Arno for the helpful links! 🙂

Cheers,

Tinz

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2019 at 7:35:03 #916871

Hi Tinz,

If you want to pick specific seats you can only do that at shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en/specials/daytr ips/glacier-express.

tinz
    Participant
    13 posts
    4 July 2019 at 8:00:17 #916872

Hi Rockoyster,

Noted on the selection availability, Thanks again! 😀

Have a great day ahead!

Cheers,

Tinz

• The thread ‘1st class seat Glacier Express with 2nd class pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.