1st draft Bern & Lucerne trip 1-9 February

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2019 at 12:25:36 #819527

Hi all,

This is a last minute trip we decide to take to trip to celebrate anniversary. Need major help in figuring out base and if the below makes sense. Quick background we don’t really ski however maybe a easy scenic hikes weather permitting. Fun stuff not too strenuous

The point of the trip is relax , get good, good views, and enjoy the winter beauty of Switzerland but we don’t want to spend hours on trains unless it makes sense. Based on some research these are the place of interest that we would like to see if possible. I know its very bad weather there now but looking at forecast not much colder that Eastern states in USA. Today real fell is 30 Fahrenheit I guess that close 0 Celsius. So not too bad over there.

I have read the weather now in some areas below mountain is very foggy and damp so for a mountain resort trip for 2dys would love to get suggestions. I read Murren might be nice.

8 day trip – Sat Feb 2nd Arriving in Geneva early 8am from USA

Day 1 arrive GVA at 8am – buy train ticket to Bern stay in Bern for 2dys or maybe 3 not sure yet. Will chg if it makes sense on advise. Relax and explore Bern Day 1 as I imagine we will be tired (we’re in our 50s)

Day 2 – Bern to Zermatt (day trip) I see the weather can be iffy so will need alternative plz.

Day 3 – Bern to Jungfrau : Check out Interlake on our way back to Bern ( Is this the Golden Pass route?)

Day 4 – Leave Bern got to Lucerne – Ist day in Lucerne do main city sites and relax

Day 5 – Lucerne to Mt Pilatus

Day 6 & 7 – Open to suggestions I was looking into maybe a mountain resort for day 6 and 7 . But not sure also want to do one of the scenic train rides and then stay in one of the towns for 2 days

Day 8 Back to Geneva as we have a 11AM flight home next day also gives a day to explore Geneva maybe stay in Lausanne? We might have an option to leave from Zurich vs Geneva for a moderate cost so if it makes sense will consider this option.

Thank you for your much needed help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    18 January 2019 at 17:50:38 #902361

Kelly,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

You want to relax so your days in Bern is a perfect idea. Bern is a small city, charming. You can stroll along cobbled streets where the sidewalks are in covered galleries which is nice if it rains or snows. Attractive window shopping, cosy restaurants, etc. The unique clock tower. The bears will be hibernating but go to the bearpit anyway for a lunch in the “Altes Tramdepot”.

On the other hand, as you want to avoid spending hours in trains, the day trip to Zermatt from Bern is not such a good idea. You’ll be exhausted, and, if the M’horn is behind clouds, frustrated.

IMMO you can skip the Interlaken check out, if you are not staying there. Many hotels, and nothing much else. Rather visit Thun. And, no, Interlaken to Bern is not on the Golden Pass Line, except between Interlaken and Spiez. You could travel from Interlaken to Thun on a lake steamer if they are operating in February.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 January 2019 at 19:47:50 #902362

In addition to Snowman’s excellent tips I recommend to check travel times using the Swiss timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. That allows you to see the difference in travel time between Lucerne to Zurich vs Geneva airport, for example.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2019 at 9:39:15 #902363

Hi thanks for your advice listened and changed a few things after more research and chat with partner. Still have not booked our hotels or Swiss Travel passes. Hopefully I can fix the plan and book hotels tomorrow and passes.

• Luzern 4dys, 3 nights
      • Arrive Geneva airport at 8am go straight to Luzern enjoy full day in Luzern exploring the city and old town; Day 2, Pilatus, Day 3, day trip to Bern, Day 4 leave Luzern for Zermatt
    • Zermatt 3dys, 2 nights Gornergrat, & explore village and get in some fun easy snow activity easy hike, snowshoeing etc. Appreciate thoughts on hotels, should we stay near train station or in the center of village? Its our anniversary so was looking for a nice place to splurge a little.
    • Geneva 1dys/1 night – Explore Geneva

This plan leaves me with an extra night to stay. I thought of 3 options. Thoughts please, thanks!

1. Instead of doing day trip to Bern stay one full night in Bern but given the proximity to Luzern not sure if it makes sense
    2. Add another night in Luzern, Zermatt or Geneva
    3. Add a night in Geneva and do day trip to Montreux

Sorry one last question. Do you think I’m better off buying each of us half fare ssb pass and pay the other half or should we pay as we go. Of should we get full travel pass for 4dys.

Thanks so much you guys have been a great help.

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 January 2019 at 10:19:03 #902364

Hi Kelly,

I would not add another base, but rather spend an extra night in Lucerne or Zermatt, not in Geneva. That’s a personal preference so you may want to compare the towns by exploring the below pages. You’ll find hotel suggestions there as well:

Pay as you go will be too expensive. I’d buy the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass for this plan: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. Whether the Swiss Half Fare Card results in more savings can be calculated. Please see here for help on how to do so:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2019 at 2:42:54 #902365

Yup Geneva one night is enough, leaving us with adding night in Zermatt or Luzern. I guess its a matter what the weather is going to be like in Zermatt and do we have enough to keep us busy for 4 days/3 nights. Where as Luzern weather not as much an issue.

If we Catch early train from Luzern to Zermatt getting us to Zermatt around noon time. We don’t ski so I’m wondering spend $ to stay and extra night in Zermatt to do this & if its too cold can we do this:

• 1st day – take in the town maybe setup walking tour day 1
    • 2nd day – head up to Gornergrat checkout Palace and Glacier
    • 3rd day – get in a spa day afterwards do an activity like snowshoeing/hike
    • 4th day – Leave to Geneva

OR do we stay an extra night in Luzern do the day trips Bern, Mt. Pilates, Cogwheel, explore old town.

Thoughts? Thanks again.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 January 2019 at 9:20:54 #902366

I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice. An extra night in Zermatt increases your chances of getting a clear day for the best views. There are winter hiking trails so as long as they’re no storm there will be plenty to do. The tourist office can help you pick a good one. As you say an extra night in Lucerne is always a good choice, regardless of the weather. Plenty to do in that area for weeks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 10:24:25 #902367

Oh boy you making it a tough decision, my partner is a bit worried since we are not skiing we may not find enough to do 3nights and also afraid it might be too cold..lol. I think we may just stick to Luzern and kick myself later.

In terms of travel I’m debating do we buy a half card and saver passes for our trip. My partner would like to have the hassle free savings NOT having to think about how much we have to pay each time we do a trip. For example if we need to take a bus in Luzern or a cable ride etc. With these half cards you must pay the difference. I guess I need to get your thoughts. I think it would save us money if we just do the Half Day Cards and maybe a saver pass? Also saw an option EuroRail Pass for 5dys for 640USD

1. Geneva airport to Luzern – use half card and buy ticket
    2. Day trip to Bern (Mt. Rigi, Mt. Pilates) – use half fare card and buy ticket
    3. Luzern to Zermatt(Gornegrat, Klein ) – Buy saver pass for this day
    4. Zermatt to Geneva – Buy saver pass for this day

Oh, sorry one more question? In Zermatt is it better to be in the village vs a mountain hotel if we are just there 2 nights? Been looking at hotels, the one’s I like seem to be above the village, I’m just wondering if for us non skiers does it make sense to be that high up. Will it be easy to access different restaurants if we are above the village? So many questions!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 14:31:54 #902368

HI Kelly,

It is best to do the math to see which rail pass or passes will save you the most money (Arno’s post on Jan.23 has a link to help choose your pass and do the math).

The rail pass with the least hassle by far is the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

Being in the village is probably simpler for you yes as long as you aren’t set on being up on a mountain for the remoteness or views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 19:43:06 #902369

Thank you! Lucas, i have some additional questions. Perhaps i might post to travel card forum.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 8:04:47 #902370

Hi all,

I need some last minute clarifications if you don’t mind Please. I’m trying to calculate overall cost for our trip Half Fare Card vs Full Fare but need to confirm if i got these prices correct. Please anyone, thank you! Does this sound about right?

1. Geneva to Luzern – haven’t done this pricing yet but, I read its relatively cheap
    1. Mount Rigi and maybe Mt. Pilates while in Luzern. How much is the ride to both places, i.e I guess cable car rides?
    1. Day trip to Luzern to Bern – 70CHF for 2 of us or 35/ticket for roundtrip
    2. Luzern to Zermatt via OST – getting Saver Day Pass 49CHF/pp
      • Gornergrat 45CHF/pp round trip.
    3. Zermatt to Geneva – 49chf Doing Saver Day Pass
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 8:14:30 #902371

When I add everything up it looks like buying the Half Fare Card and buying tickets would be about 600 CHF vs buying 1 week Swiss Travel Pass is 885 CHF. So its looking like the Half Fare Card might be more economical if I have calculated things correctly. Thoughts/Opinions?

I see SSB has a web store. I am leaving this week this week. Is it okay to buy my Half Fare Card online as well as tickets before I leave to Switzerland? Are there any issues that I should know about before I purchase these things online i.e restrictions issues at stations etc.

THANKS GUYS this has truly be a life saver!!

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 January 2019 at 10:24:38 #902372

Hi Kelly,

Did you fill out the spreadsheet at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass? I can take a quick look at it if you attach it here.

Geneva to Luzern one way is CHF 80 per person full fare: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. Gornergrat return is CHF 76 per person full fare: http://www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat/tickets.

How and where to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card is explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price. You’ll find the SBB webshop listed there, as well as others. The tickets can be purchased at any train station or online: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 11:27:51 #902373

No, I could not download the spreadsheet to my computer so I had to just do it by hand, going to the SSB site putting in my travel destinations & dates.

Buying Swiss Travel Pass for 8dys at 836 for both of us. Total below is 696.

• Arrive Feb 2 GVA , GVA airport to Luzern (4nights) – w/ half fare card 84 for both
    • Feb 4 Day trip Luzern to Bern back the same day to Luzern – with half fare card 70 for both
    • Feb 5 Luzern to Zermatt (2nights) – using Saver Day Pass 100 for both (rounded up)
      • Gornergrat 90 for both with half fare card. I guess I didn’t include getting back down. I’ll have to go back and look
    • Day Feb 7, Zermatt to Geneva – using Saver Day Pass 49/pp, 100 for both

If can buy half day card at the airport when I arrive and buy the tickets now as I understood the Saver Day Passes will increase in value as we get closer to the dates we travel. Now do the regular tickets increase in value as well?

I buy the Saver passes today if I don’t have yet the Half Fare Card? I am buying the half fare card at the airport when i get to Geneva.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 January 2019 at 13:43:56 #902374

Hi Kelly,

Those prices look correct to me. Indeed Saver Day Pass prices vary and availability is not guaranteed, so buying asap and online is best: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/price. Regular tickets have fixed prices, but Supersaver tickets have not: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland.

The Swiss Half Fare Card does not need to be purchased online, but I recommend to do so. That will save time on arrival as you can skip the ticket office. Also the electronic copy allows you to store spare copies wherever you like, e.g. on your phone, or simply have a second printout. This means that losing the card won’t be an issue. The one you get at the ticket office can’t be replaced in such a case. You’ll find the SBB tourist webshop at https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com/#/e n/home. The card will be received through e-mail within 5 minutes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 14:28:09 #902375

Hi Arno,

1. So just to confirm, I should buy ALL the tickets ahead of time including my Day trip to Bern from Luzern plus the Saver Day Pass ahead of time in order to save $? Is this correct?

2. I understand the Saver Day Passes can ONLY be used for i.e Luzern to Zermatt. Should our plans change we can’t exchange those passes for lets say Bern to Zermatt we risk the lost of $ or can we pay the difference? Just want to make sure when I buy all the tickets my plans are final. We don’t want to lose $ on tickets that are not refundable nor exchangeable.

3. Arno – Is STC same as SSB? I am being lazy I already had a window open with my info populated on the SSB stie then decided I better check with you guys to ensure I was doing the right thing.

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 January 2019 at 15:15:41 #902376

Hi Kelly,

1. No, you don’t have to. Saver Day Passes must be purchased in advance. Regular tickets can be purchase online ahead of time but also 5 minutes prior to departure at the train station.

2. No, Saver Day Passes are not route specific, only day specific. Please see the map for where you can travel: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass/validity.

3. Yes, STC (Switzerland Travel Centre) operates the SBB tourist webshop, which is much simpler to use than the domestic SBB website geared to Swiss citizens. Hence the last link in my previous post.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 21:48:00 #902377

AWESOME!

Thank you!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2019 at 21:52:52 #902378

HI!

I found a supersaver pass for leg Luzern to Zermatt via Interlaken OST (this is the scenic route, correct?) small price difference between Saver Day Pass for 2nd class but a 20chf diff going 1st class. We already bought Half Fare Card so prices is with HFC.

Any down side/reason why not to buy the Super Saver Pass in this case, going first class would be nice. We chose a time leaving at 806 AM, Feb 5th

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2019 at 0:06:31 #902379

Sorry, Could not edit my previous post and just thought of this.

With just 2 nights in Zermatt, what’s the time best time to get to there? Arrival 12:14 with the SuperSaver tickets. If we train earlier i.e 7:06am we get there at 11:14. We won’t be skiing so with half a day first night and full day next day. Are the arrival times suitable? We are just going to Explore the town,we don’t ski, go to Gronergrat etc, and get in a snowshoe/easy hike.

Thanks for your reply

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 January 2019 at 7:36:04 #902380

Hi Kelly,

The arrival time seems fine to me. As for the tickets, please see the other thread you opened: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/saverday-pass-or-supersaver-ticket-whalffare-card.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The thread ‘1st draft Bern & Lucerne trip 1-9 February’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.