Switzerland and Italy in June – rail pass options?

• hitmankumar
    Participant
    25 posts
    16 February 2018 at 7:35:20 #814382

Hi,
    I am planning for my first Europe holiday to Switzerland and Italy trip for 2 Adults and 2 Child (14 and 15 yrs old) between 07 to 18 Jun 18. My itinerary is as follows ;

7 Jun 2018 : Zurich Airport (Arrive at 0915h ) to Gimmelwald (Planning 3 nights stay at Esther’s Guest House)

Sight see around Gimmelwald town
    8 Jun 2018 : Esther’s Guest House to Piz Gloria
    Sight see around Lauterbrunnen
    9 Jun 2018: Esther’s Guest House to Jungfrau top of Europe
    Sight see around Interlaken
    10 Jun 2018: Esther’s Guest House to Luzern (Planning 1 night stay at Tourist City&River Hotel)
    River Cruise and Mount Pilatus or Rigi
    11 Jun 2018 : Tourist City&River Hotel to Zurich Airport
    Zurich airport to Venice airport
    Venice airport to San Gallo Hotel (Planning 1 night stay)
    12 Jun 2018 : Venice City Tour
    San Gallo Hotel to Venezia Santa Luci to Firenze S.M.N. to VIP Florence (Planning 2 nights stay)
    13 Jun 2018 : VIP Florence to Factory outlet (If time permits) /City Tour
    14 Jun 2018 : VIP Florence to City Tour
    VIP Florence Firenze S.M.N. to Roma Termini to Resort Roma Termini (Planning 4 nights stay)
    15 Jun 2018 : City Tour/factory outlet
    16 Jun 2018 : Resort Roma Termini to Roma Termini to Pompei
    17 Jun 2018 : Resort Roma Termini to Roma Termini to Amalfi
    18 Jun 2018 : Resort Roma Termin to City Tour to Roma Termini to Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (Depart at 1945h)

Given my itinerary which would be a good plan (All are by train/bus except flight from zurich to venice [Not sure if it is faster than rail trip] :

1) Swiss travel pass

2) Half fare pass with passes for Jungfrau trip (Does junior pass helps?) and tell pass for Luzern stay

3) Euro rail pass for Switzerland and Italy (Not sure if this covers rail and cable car as well)

4) Separate passes for Italy and Switzerland

Please advise.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 9:08:26 #876417

Hi Hitmankumar,

Careful on June 10 – the trip to Luzern is about 3 hours. I’d not count on a lake cruise and a trip to Pilatus or Rigi. Use the Swiss railways timetable to help your planning.

It seems that you have a few rail trips in Italy as well so a Eurail Select Pass could work for you. Check out the validity page for the rail pass to see what is covered in both countries.

I don’t know much about Italian rail passes but for Switzerland, if you don’t get the Eurail Select Pass , the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass probably would be best (and then a point to point ticket to Zurich airport on the last day). It won’t fully cover all trips but most of them. You can then get the Swiss Family Card (free add-on) to cover both kids for free all around Switzerland.

To make the comparison between rail passes (to know for sure what is the most economical for your itinerary) read our page here: How to choose the best rail pass.

• The thread ‘Switzerland and Italy in June – rail pass options?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.