2 -3 week Swiss & Italy trip in Dec 2021

• ItsJoel
    Participant
    1 post
    10 October 2020 at 13:16:30 #825714

Hi all, this is my first visit to Europe, I plan to visit Switzerland & Italy late next year during Christmas, in December 2021.

I will have about 2-3 weeks, departing from Singapore. I will be travelling with my mother, and we like to take our time to enjoy each location, with shopping and sightseeing. No hiking, as I am afraid my mother can’t take it 🙂

I need help with my itinerary as I am not sure if it is feasible. The plan is to fly into Zurich and depart from Rome. Or vice versa.

I would love to see these following places:

Switzerland: Rhine Falls (not sure if to stay in Schaffhausen? I checked it’s expensive), Lucerne (Chapel bridge, Old Town, Lion Monument, Lake Lucerne), maybe Schlithorn?, Mt Titlis/Pilatus/Rigi, one mountain is enough. I heard Jungfraujoch is expensive and crowded so I am willing to skip it.

Italy: Florence (main attractions), Rome (main attractions – Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Roman Forum, Spanish Steps, The Vatican)

My Itinerary so far:

Day 1: Flight from Singapore to Zurich (if arrive in afternoon 3pm, relax for the rest of the day, check into Zurich/Schaffhausen hotel? I would like to see Rhine Falls and maybe Old Town around Zurich only. Do I need 2 nights? But I would’nt want to keep changing hotels when I have to carry luggages around.)

Day 2: Zurich (see the Rhine Falls & Old Town)

Day 3: Train from Zurich to Lucerne (around noon, check into Lucerne hotel)

Day 4: Lucerne (explore areas…Chapel Bridge, Lion Monument, Old Town)

Day 5: Lucerne (Mt. Titlis/Mt. Pilatus/Mt. Rigi)

Day 6: Lucerne (Schlitthorn? or free day. maybe one mountain is enough.)

Day 7: Train from Lucerne to Florence (Is there an easier or cheaper route for this where not many stops, and not too long? I just need to get to Venice from Florence, check into Florence hotel. I see some itineraries that go to Venice first from Lucerne, but it is not a place that I’ve dreamt of visiting so I can skip it, unless the route would be much easier.)

Day 8: Florence (Piazzale Michelangelo, Piazza della Signoria, Duomo, Giotto’s Bell Tower, Baptistry)

Day 9: Florence (Galleria dell’Accademia, Basilica di Santa Croce, Ponte Vecchio)

Day 10: Florence (Palazzo Pitti, free day)

Day 11: Train from Florence to Rome (check into Rome hotel)

Day 12: Rome (Colosseum, Aventine Hill, Trastevere)

Day 13: Rome (Trevi Fountain, Ponte Umberto I, Palace of Justice, Castel Sant’Angelo)

Day 14: Rome (Palentine Hill, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Del Popolo)

Day 15: Rome (The Vatican Museums, St. Peter’s Basilica, Altar of the Fatherland)

Day 16: Flight from Rome back to Singapore

Overall I think I need:
    1/2 nights to see Rhine Falls + Old Town?
    4 nights to explore Lucerne + 1/2 mountains?
    3/4 nights to explore Florence
    5 nights to explore Rome

Any recommendations on decent hotels that are not too expensive? Hopefully under 90 euros per night? Any christmas markets I should be visiting in the areas? Do I have to go to Interlaken to visit Schlitthorn?

Thanks,

Joel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6279 posts
    10 October 2020 at 15:59:27 #934375

Hi Itsjoel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

It’s great to know you are planning a trip to Switzerland in 2021.

Thanks for sharing your itinerary. I think the Swiss part of the journey is do-able and based on your itinerary, it’s probably a good idea to just stay in Lucerne for your entire Swiss trip if you are not keen on changing hotels. Lucerne is very accessible from Zurich. There are regular trains servicing these two cities and planning excursions to the Rhine Falls, Pilatus, Titlis and Rigi should not be a problem. Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn are a bit further away but still possible as a day trip if you start out very early in the morning. Please click on the links for more details about each of these attractions. You can plan your journey easily using the SBB timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

For other sightseeing ideas, please visit the following links:

For your onward journey to Florence, you can check out train information and tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

If you’re looking for accommodation in Lucerne, this link may be useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/hotels

Regards,

Anna

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    11 October 2020 at 19:15:51 #934376

With this itinerary, 3 days should be good for Lucerne and Zurich. For that Lucerne will be a good base. I feel you should visit Bernese Oberland for at least 2 days. This is because it is the most scenic place in Switzerland. No trip is complete without Bernese Oberland

• The thread ‘2 -3 week Swiss & Italy trip in Dec 2021’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.