Swiss rail pass for a family of 4 with 16 yr old

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 6:32:16 #816793

Hello, just wanted to know what is the best deal for our family of 4. My daughter turns 16 on June 28th and we are in Switzerland July 10th.

1. Already bought tickets from Paris to Basel, arriving 5:30pm July 10th

2. Need tickets from Basel to Interlaken, and then on to Grindelwald, where we are staying for 3 nights

3. Would like to visit Wengen, Murren, top of Europe tour, Schilthorn

4. Going back to Zurich on Friday July 13th to make our flight back to London

I was initially going to buy the 1/2 pass but saw that now I have to buy 3 in total. So would it be better to buy 2 adult and one youth 3 day Swiss travel pass ($642) or 3 half card Swiss pass for $120 each?

Thank you. I attempted to use the Excel sheet but was a little lost.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 12:53:06 #888966

Hi PrincessAJ and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Without doing the math, there is no way to know for sure which is the best option economically. Feel free to post your excel sheet and we can have a look to see if anything looks wrong.

I think it is easier and certainly simpler for everyone to buy a Swiss Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price) for 3 days though.

It gives you a lot more flexibility each day as you can just hop on most trains, buses, boats without buying tickets each time (mountain excursions are often an exception).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 5:32:46 #888967

Thank you. I will work on the spreadsheet and post.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass for a family of 4 with 16 yr old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.