2 day trip to Lucerne – question about train pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 13:57:30 #816541

I am planning to visit Switzerland for 2 days in August 1st week with my wife and 2 kids – 14 and 19 years. We will stay in Malters near Lucern. Based on my website research, we want to visit Mount Jungfraujoch, Mount Titlis, golden pass line from Lucern to Interlaken as follows:

Day 0:

Arrive by train from Paris at Basel at 730pm.

Take train to Malters for stay.

Day 1:

Malters to Lucern to Interlaken by Golden Pass Line.

Interlaken to Jungfraujoch

Back to Malters

Day 2:

Malters to Lucern to Mount Titlis

Mount Titlis to Basel for 5pm flight

Please suggest the best train pass to use for this itinerary. I read a lot of train passes but confused. Is it better to take a car for Day 0 and Day 2 travels. And use train for Day 1. Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

Kamesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 17:03:37 #887842

Hi Kamesh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think the best option (and certainly the easiest) is the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass. I wouldn’t try to rent a car in general, and certainly not when going to Titlis.

However, To know which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:47:12 #887843

It will be hectic to fit in Malters – Titlis – Basel airport in one day. I doubt you would enjoy such a short time at the top of Titlis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 18:09:30 #887844

Thanks for your reply. I saw tours being organized for 1 day tour Lucern to Jungfraujoch and 1/2 day tour to Titlis. I made plans based on this data.

I put this schedule to fit Titlis and Golden pass line train ride in one day. Please let me know if this looks ok.

Malters 752 to Lucern 810 to engelberg 853 to Mount Titlis 930am

Mt Titlis – Stay for 4 hours.

Mount Titlis 1315 to engelberg 1402 to Lucern 1506 to Interlaken 1655 Golden pass line.

Interlaken – Stay for 2 hours

Interlaken 1904 – Lucern 2116 – Malters 2128

Thanks,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 19:09:38 #887845

Hi Kamesh,

Yes certainly that works, just a long day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 22:37:55 #887846

Yes that works – although Luzern – Interlaken isn’t the true ‘GoldenPass’ – it is the Brünig Pass line. It is pleasant and scenic but not very high mountain territory. May not be worth the trip although the Brienz – Interlaken lake shore section is nice.

• The thread ‘2 day trip to Lucerne – question about train pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.