2 day trip in June to Swiss Alps, family of 5

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 16:04:45 #811000

Hello

I need help to plan my trip to Switzerland.

We are taking the train from Paris to Interlaken and will have 2 days in Swiss Alps during the month of June.

We are staying in Interlaken starting of day 1 and day 2. We leave to Milan on the evening of day 2.

We are a family of 5 with 3 kids. So we were thinking we will get the Half family card where both me and my husband pay and the kids travel for free. Is that right. and the pass can be used everywhere within Switzerland.

My question to you is: Can I do the Jungfrau train ride from Interlaken on day 1 and add trip to Shilthorn on the same day. Day 2: I am thinking we will leave to Lucerne from Interlaken and take a train from Lucerne to Milan without coming back to Interlaken. Will I be able to use the Swiss rail pass from Lucerne to Milan?

So with the Swiss Half Flex pass, I will be able to take the trips to Shilthorn, jungfrau, and Lucerne at 50%. Am I right? Do I still need to pay for the 3 kids. Also, Do I need to make reservations for the train trips or just walk in?

Would I be able to do all the 3 places in such a short time that I have.

Please advise. Thank You

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 17:17:13 #859738

Hi Euro2017 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

First a few questions on the train passes you mention:
    When you say “the Half family card” you mean the Swiss Half-Fare Card I think?
    and when you say the “Swiss Half Flex pass” you mean the Swiss Half-Fare Card again? or the Swiss Travel Pass Flex?

Also when you mention the Swiss rail pass – which pass are you referring to here? There is no Swiss Rail Pass – there is a Swiss Travel Pass however.

My recommendation would be to get the Swiss Half-Fare Card for both adults and add on the free Swiss Family card that will cover the children. This will give you 50% off your travel to either Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn. I think during your short stay you should only look at visiting one attraction, but time may be available to do both if planned well enough – check train schedules here.

Train reservations are not needed no – you need to buy a ticket at the reduced price if you get the Swiss Half-Fare Card.

The Swiss Half-Fare Card will get you a reduction on the train from anywhere in Switzerland to Milan (it automatically discounts the Swiss section of that route only (so it won’t be 50%).

Be sure to read through our pages on the different passes for Swiss Trains and let me know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 18:43:11 #859739

Lucas

Thank you so much for the quick response. I really admire your system. Very helpful for people near and far to plan their visit to the Great Swiss Alps. Kudos to you all.

Yes, I did mean Swiss Half Fare card. Thats what we are planning on taking than the Swiss Travel Pass since our stay is only for 2 days.

Can Lucerne be covered in half a day? Our plan is leave from Interlaken to Lucerne and then to Milan from Lucerne.

Euro2017.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 21:17:28 #859740

I just wanted to comment because we have almost an identical itinerary. We are also going to Switzerland in the summer for 2 nights, 3 days. Then heading to Milan after 🙂 I was going back and forth with either purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass or the Half fare card and ultimately decided to just purchase the Swiss Travel Pass (and make it worth it!) Because I heard you just board and go, whereas if you have the Half Fare card, you still need to purchase discounted tickets for each trip. (We are a family of 4 with a child in a wheelchair and a 4yr old…and I’m trying to travel with the least hassle!! Lol) Please Lucas, correct me if I’m wrong! 🙂 Lucas has been really helpful in making me decide which places I want to tackle in the short time we will be there. Ps: I just saw on the website that they are having a special on Swiss Travel Pass, 30% off first class tickets with code 30SWISS17 valid on or before June 30th, 2017. Too bad we aren’t going until July!!!!! :'( Good luck on ur trip!!!

~May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 4:46:53 #859741

May

Nice to hear from you. What places are you visiting in the 3 days that you are in Interlaken.

Thanks for your advise and input

Euro2017 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 4:53:35 #859742

Lucas

Just to make it clear and confirming:

If I take the Swiss Half Fare card for me and my husband, I do not pay for my three Kids. DO I still need to buy tickets for the 3 kids in discounted price for the trips.

Let’s say I am paying 120$ for the Swiss half fare card for me and 120$ for my husband and the 3 kids are free. Now I am buying the train ride from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch for 54$ for me and my husband which is discounted rate of 50%. Do the kids travel free during the trip or do I purchase a ticket for them?

Does it seem economical to buy the Swiss Travel Pass rather than Swiss Half Fare card? With the Swiss Travel Pass, I dont pay for any of the trips and I just board the train/local buses/boats for free. How about the kids. Sorry it is a bit confusing since there are different blogs saying some people did the Swiss Travel Pass and Some did Swiss Half Fare card.

What would you recommend? We will be there only for 2 days and the 2nd day evening we are leaving to Milan from Lucerne and we are a family of 5 inlcuding 3 kids and the places we would like to see are Jungfraujoch, Shilthorn and Lucerne (all if time permits). Please advise to do the best experience in such a short time but an economical trip. We will not be visiting museums.

Thank you Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 5:49:09 #859743

Hi! We are going to be staying in Lucerne (a lot of people have been recommending it as our base) and I’m thinking that our first day there we will be exploring Lucerne and probably go to Bern to walk around. 2nd day we want to go to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald First. Then our last day, we want to take the Golden Pass line. Im trying to make our Swiss Travel Pass worth it 🙂 Also we want to ride the boat in Lucerne if we have time. Not visiting any museums either 🙂 I hope all these are possible and weather is good when we go in the summer!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 8:09:36 #859744

Hi Euro2017,

If you and your husband both get the Swiss Half-Fare Card then you will both have to buy discounted tickets for every train trip. Your kids (with the Swiss Family Card) travel free – they don’t need to buy any other tickets.

The Swiss Travel Pass allows you to board any train or boat or local bus in Switzerland without buying any other tickets at the train station. There a few exceptions, such as traveling to the Jungfraujoch where you have to buy a ticket from Grindelwald (or Wengen) to Jungfraujoch (where you get 25% with the STP).
    The trip from anywhere in Switzerland to Grindelwald (or Wengen) would be free. There are a few other trips like this – read through our page on the Swiss travel Pass areas of validity.

I think for your short stay the Swiss Half-Fare Card is probably the most economical. The cheapest Swiss Travel Pass is for 3 days – the best option is to do the math on all your planned trips on the Swiss Half-fare Card and see if that price is less or more than the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass. Here is our page on choosing the best rail pass with an excel document to help you on the math.

I think you are ok to see Luzern in a 1/2 day, it is a nice city but the highlights can be seen in a few hours as your itinerary dictates. It sounds like your time is best focused on mountain trips – be sure to check the weather the day before departure to Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn to see if it is worth the trip (clouds can hamper the sights on some days and you end up seeing nothing).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 8:12:23 #859745

Hi May,

Yes, if you buy the Swiss Half-Fare Card you still have to buy discounted tickets for every train trip you go on – except any children on the Swiss Family Card or those under 5.

With the Swiss Travel Pass you can board any train, bus or boat you want without buy additional tickets (with a few mountain excursions being the exemption – read through or validity page in the Swiss Travel Pass here.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 3:15:09 #859746

Lucas

I highly appreciate all the help I’ve been getting in planning our trip.

I am coming down with tightly packed day and want to make the most of the time in Swiss Alps.

Day 1: Would like to start from Interlaken to Jungfrau via Grindelwald and return via Lauterbrunnen route. From Lauterbrunnen go to Schilthorn via Stechelberg and return via Grutschalp.

That should cover day 1 and will hit both Jungfrau and Schilthorn

Day2: Head to Lucerne to Golden pass line or Interlaken-Lucerne Express and then try to cover Mt Rigi if time permits. Then leave from Lucerne to Milan in the Evening.

How long does Interlaken Lucerne express take on an average time or even Golden pass line.

How long is the Mt Rigi route to do the trip.

Depending on it, we will be able to book our train from Lucerne to Milan.

Thank You

Euro 2017

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 3:47:19 #859747

Also, I am trying to buy the tickets for end of June but the website sbb.cff is not letting us to busy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 12:54:36 #859748

Hi Euro2017,

Certainly a doable but busy itinerary!

The Interlaken to Luzern route is about 2 hours. The Express train is the same train as the Golden Pass. You can check timetables and trains for this and other routes here.

There are several routes available to Mt. Rigi – read here for more details. So it will depend on your final choice. I would want a 1/2 day to do Mt. Rigi properly.

I hope that helps, all the best!

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 March 2017 at 17:05:06 #859749

Hi Euro2017,

SBB is the domestic site and does not offer tickets for more than one month in advance. If you intend to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card you can buy your discounted tickets from the websites listed here, even if your trip is more than a month ahead. Or you can buy your tickets on the spot before you travel.

The Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased from any of the websites listed here. I recommend the tourist shop of the SBB at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, as they allow you to print it at home (delivery through e-mail in 1 to 3 business days).

Tickets for Italy can be found here: myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy/price.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘2 day trip in June to Swiss Alps, family of 5’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.