About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 2 day trips to Lucerne from Basel
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

2 day trips to Lucerne from Basel

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jenn Chuah
Jenn Chuah
44 posts
Feb 25, 2020 - 6:01 AM

Hi,

I am currently in the final stage to firm up my itinerary for end March.

Day 1

- Basel to Lucerne by train

- Boat ride @ Lake Lucerne

- Cheese Factory visit @ Engelberg

- Old Town

- Return to my base in Basel

Day 2

- Basel to Lucerne by train

- Mount Pilatus

- Return to my base in Basel

For Day 1 - is my itinerary workable?

Besides cheese factory, anywhere else I can visit in Engelberg? I m not going to mount Titlis as I am already going to mount pilatus.

Since I am going for the boat ride, can the boat take me to Engelberg? If no, is there any point within the boat route that is close to Engelberg where i can take the boat to and then take a train or bus to Engelberg?

For Day 2 - I believe Mount Pilatus will take half a day. Anywhere else interesting n worth visiting that I can visit in Lucerne before I return to my base later in the afternoon?

thanks

Rail Europe
Ildiko
Ildiko
1018 posts
top member &
Feb 26, 2020 - 7:04 AM in reply to Jenn Chuah

Hi Jenn Chuah,

day 1 is doable. There is a 12th-century monastery in Engelberg: www.engelberg.ch/en/all-year-around/culture-traditions/benediktine-monastery/.

You can read about the boat trips on Lake Lucerne at www.myswissalps.com/boatlakelucerne. You cannot have a boat trip to Engelberg as it is not on the coast of Lake Lucerne. Also see: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/boat-rides-from-lucerz.

Unfortunately late March is still winter time in the boat schedule, it means a restricted schedule. The easiest is if you go by train to Engelberg.

Yes, Pilatus can be visited in half a day: www.myswissalps.com/pilatus/gettingthere. Check at www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities and www.myswissalps.com/museumoftransport for tips on activities in Lucerne.

Also see: www.myswissalps.com/lakelucerne/activities and regarding Basel: www.myswissalps.com/basel and www.myswissalps.com/munsterbasel and www.myswissalps.com/hiking/basel.

Ildiko

Jenn Chuah
Jenn Chuah
44 posts
Feb 26, 2020 - 10:16 AM in reply to Ildiko

Thanks, Ildiko

Ildiko
Ildiko
1018 posts
top member &
Feb 26, 2020 - 12:28 PM in reply to Jenn Chuah

You are welcome.

If you are thinking of having an overnight in Lucerne, you can find accommodation at www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/hotels and www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/rentals.

Let me know if there is anything I can help,

Ildiko

Jenn Chuah
Jenn Chuah
44 posts
Feb 26, 2020 - 3:33 PM in reply to Ildiko

Hi Ildiko,

I will also visiting the following places in early april:

1 day in grindelwald. Stay overnight.

Move to Interlaken. Stay overnight.

Next day to visit Jungfraujoch. On the way down, go to Murren..

Is this itinerary workable?

Does the Swiss Travel Pass/ Swiss Half Fare Card cover the transport cost from Lauterbrunnen to Murren?

Thanks

Ildiko
Ildiko
1018 posts
top member &
Feb 26, 2020 - 6:24 PM in reply to Jenn Chuah

Hi Jenn,

You could spend 2 nights at Interlaken or Grindelwald, they are so close to each other (around 30 mins by train, see the timetable: www.myswissalps.com/timetable.) Find accommodation in the Jungfrau region here: www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/hotels and www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/rentals. Use the filter to narrow down your search.

It is doable. If you are going to Jungfraujoch (www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere) I recommend doing a circle like Interlaken - Grindelwald - Jungfraujoch - Lauterbrunnen - Interlaken.

Train to Grindelwald or Wengen is free with Swiss Travel Pass, while trains from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch is discounted by 25%: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

Trains from Interlaken (or other towns) to the Jungfraujoch is discounted by 50% with the Swiss Half Fare Card: www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/validity.

You can get them here:

Ildiko

Also see:

Jenn Chuah
Jenn Chuah
44 posts
Feb 26, 2020 - 11:35 PM in reply to Ildiko

Thank you, Ildiko

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7535 posts
expert
Feb 27, 2020 - 1:34 AM in reply to Jenn Chuah

<<"Does the Swiss Travel Pass/ Swiss Half Fare Card cover the transport cost from Lauterbrunnen to Murren? ">>

Yes. Free with STP, half fare with half fare card. Still cheap.

Slowpoke

Jenn Chuah
Jenn Chuah
44 posts
Feb 27, 2020 - 4:46 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks, Slowpoke.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020