Nov 1 & 2 in Lucerne: boat and mountain trips?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2017 at 11:54:33 #813510

Hi we are a group of 5 adults and we are planning to spend two days in Lucerne November 1st to 2nd of November 2017. We are wondering if the Lake Lucerne cruise will still be operating during these two days and if there are any tours that covers both Mount Pilatus and Lake Lucerne on the 2nd of November2017. We look forward to any advice. Thank you

best regards

KJ

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 October 2017 at 1:52:45 #870959

Hello KJ and Welcome to the MySwissAlps Forum,

The number of lake ferries is reduced during winter. You’ll find the timetable here http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2017/ 2017_Fahrplan_Winter_B B.pdf

You can take a ferry from Luzern to Alpnachstad and from there ascend to top of Mt Pilatus via cog-wheel railway. The cable car from Pilatus down to Kriens (suburb of Luzern) is closed at that time. See http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2017 at 4:42:51 #870960

Thank you for your kind advice. Will take a look at the links and plan accordingly. Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2017 at 1:18:13 #870961

Hi can anyone advice me if it is worth getting a tell pass or should i be buying point to point ticket. As I am only in lucerne for 2 days before travelling to Paris I am trying to find the most cost efficient way to move around.

My itinerary so far will be as follows 31st of October:
    to visit lowendenkmal, chapel bridge, old town, spreuer bridge.
    I am staying around bundesplatz.

And the second day I am planning to see lake lucerne and mount pilatus. As i understand the cable car is under maintenance on the 1st of November, I am planning to take the boat to alphachstad then train or bus back to lucerne town.

Please kindly advice whether it is more worthwhile to get a point to point ticket or a pass for the anove itinerary. Thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 October 2017 at 1:43:55 #870962

Hi khingjim,

You don’t say how you are arriving in Lucerne or getting to Paris. If you have other train travel in Switzerland a pass may be beneficial but if your only train/lake travel is the trip to Mt Pilatus then I would think point to point will be cheaper. This http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/bourbaki-panorama-luzern-luzern.html is close to the Lion Monument and Glacier Gardens which are also worth a look.

Keep your options open for which day you visit Pilatus depending on weather conditions at the time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2017 at 6:33:10 #870963

Yes, I would agree that if the Mt. Pilatus trip is the only trip by train/boat etc. then point to point tickets would be better.

If you are spending more time traveling around Switzerland before Luzern a rail pass may be of use.

• The thread ‘Nov 1 & 2 in Lucerne: boat and mountain trips?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.