2 days in Switzerland – mountain experience in Dec

• AnnaW
    Participant
    2 posts
    7 July 2022 at 11:58:28 #827703

Hi everyone,

Would love to know if people thing the following is doable:

My family of 5 (Partner & Kids 17,15,14) are going to be in Switzerland (Basel or Zurich) from Lunchtime Tuesday 27 Dec 2022 till 29 Dec morning 2022

I have an iconic memory as a child (10 or 11) when I took a cable car with my parents to the top of a mountain (in the alps) and saw the sunset.

I want to be able to recreate this with my children. In the time frame that we have, what is the best way to do this? Tour from Zurich? Make our own way on a train/cable car? If so, which one is best?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    7 July 2022 at 15:37:22 #944025

AnnaW,

I would recommend the Majestic Round Trip or also known as the Queen of the Mountains round trip.

Take the boat from Lucerne to Vitznau. Change to the cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm. Then take the cogwheel train down to Rigi Kaltbad and change to the cable car down to Weggis. Walk over to the boat (15 minutes) to return to Lucerne.

Easy to do and get to experience a boat, cog train, and a cable car in the alps.

http://www.myswissalps.com/rigi

On the 27th, I would take a train from Zurich to Lucerne and spend the night. Then on the 28th do the Majestic Round Trip.

When I fly out of Zurich I usually take an early morning train from Lucerne directly to the Airport in Zurich. If the early morning train doesn’t work then you could always go back to Zurich on the 28th.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Steve

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2022 at 19:32:25 #944026

Hi AnnaW and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

Yes, the Lake Lucerne region – as Steve recommended you – is a great choice from Lucerne. You can stay in Lucerne or in Zurich. You can visit the following mountains there:

Note, that it will be very cold in December (http://www.myswissalps.com/weather/winter).

I know it is something different, but your kids might love the Lindt chocolate museum/factory too: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/culinary/chocolate.

Ildiko

AnnaW
    Participant
    2 posts
    8 July 2022 at 1:10:31 #944027

Hi Steve & Ildiko

Thank you for your suggestions and taking the time to reply.

Great ideas.

So it would be a self guided day – Do most people speak English? My German is limited at best.

Would we be able to see the sunset near Weggis or do the cable cars/boats stop running at a certain time?

Thank you!

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 July 2022 at 8:31:19 #944028

Hi AnnaW,

Not everyone speaks English here but most do understand and some speak English. Staff at train stations, travel centres and hotels usually speak the language. Intercity and Eurocity trains also provide announcement in English in addition to the local languages.

Cable cars and boats usually operate about 8 to 4.30pm in Dec. The sun sets early in wintertime so depending on the timing, it might be possible to catch the sunset before the last cable car down. Please use the timetable to check the operating schedules.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘2 days in Switzerland – mountain experience in Dec’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.