How to make the best of 1-2 days in Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2019 at 13:44:04 #824371

Dear All

I will be reaching to montreux on 20th nov by 4 pm, Already i have planned to visit rocher de naye , chillion castle and Gruyeres village with cheese factory, I am confuse for visiting vevey wine yards and charlie Chaplin museum..

Please help me out in this as i will be reaching to Montreux in the evening so what i can plan at that time due to season is it possible to visit Gruyeres in the evening itself ..

21st nov 6.3 wake up

7.3 break fast

8 out from the hotel for sight seen

visit chillon castle

visit rocher de naye

3 gruyeres village last train for montreux 8 pm

chritmas market

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 0:13:52 #924641

For a day of short daylight you are already reaching the limits of what is possible. I don’t think you could fit anything else in or add anything to this in such a short stay.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 3:19:18 #924642

Can anything is possible to do on 20th evening as I will be reaching to montreux by 4 pm..

I don’t want to add anything just let me know is it possible to go Gruyères cheese factory in the evening?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 3:22:26 #924643

I am planning to do one ferry ride at montreux but not able to see the connection and even not understanding the way how to search for the same…

Please help

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2019 at 3:58:22 #924644

The Gruyéres Cheese Factory would be closed by the time you got there.

The cheese factory is best visited between 09:00 and 11:00 or mid afternoon to see the actual cheesemaking process. With the limited amount of time you have available I would not recommend having that as a priority.

If the Christmas markets are on late November then that would be something to do on the evening of 20 November.

Where are you coming from to reach Montreux?

Have you looked at http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux/activities?

You will find the ferry timetable at http://www.cgn.ch/media/pdf/h oraire_hiverII.pdf and http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakegeneva. Sailing are quite limited in what will be the Winter season.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 4:00:13 #924645

Landing zurich at 12. 30 and taking the train for montreux

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2019 at 4:18:42 #924646

If you touch down on time at Zurich you will need to catch the 13:18 to reach Montreux by 16:11.

That’s via the fastest route. You certainly won’t reach Montreux by 16:00 if you plan to travel via the more scenic Golden Pass route.

Where do you go after Montreux?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 4:32:16 #924647

20th and 21st I am in montreux, than going to lucerne for 3 night and than going back to zurich where I have stay of 4 night again…

Golden pass line I am doing on 22nd morning from montreux to lucerne..

My tour operator confuse me in vevey and Gruyères…

Actually I am having only one day and how much hour of light I don’t know even so was asking for your help whether in the evening possible to do anything on 20th November

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2019 at 4:41:09 #924648

OK, I get the picture.

Sunset is at 4:54pm on 20 November. See http://www.timeanddate.com/su n/switzerland/montreux

I’m not sure if the Christmas markets are on that evening but that would be the thing to do.

Perhaps your post should have been titled “How to make the best of ONE day in Montreux”! 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2019 at 5:31:43 #924649

That’s very true but I can’t change my tickets now..

So I need to take as it is..

That’s why seeking the advise from the experts to see what can be done the best..

If I reach to Gruyères by 4 pm will it be fine?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2019 at 5:47:44 #924650

The Cheese Factory is open until 6:00pm but don’t expect to see much actual cheese-making after 4:00pm. See http://www.lamaisondugruyere. ch/wp-content/uploads/2016/0 6/Cheese-making-timetable-for-Gruyère-AOP.pdf

And you won’t have much daylight to visit Gruyéres village which I personally think is more interesting than the cheese factory.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2019 at 0:31:00 #924652

“I am planning to do one ferry ride at montreux but not able to see the connection and even not understanding the way how to search for the same…”

“Sailing are quite limited in what will be the Winter season.”

There is no lake boat (ferry isn’t really the correct term for most Swiss lake boats) service in November on weekdays, so a boat trip won’t be possible

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2019 at 0:38:28 #924653

I would abandon the idea of the cheese factory if I were you.

You have said you will have several days based in Luzern and Zurich. Don’t forget that Switzerland is a small country. You can get to many places in Switzerland on a day trip from Luzern, and even more so from Zurich as you can get the fastest trains out of Zurich as it is the commercial capital of Switzerland. As such you may find other places you can visit (even cheese factories). However your notion of squeezing in activities in the evening is a problem, as late November isn’t really the right season for evening touristic activities in northern Europe.

• The thread ‘How to make the best of 1-2 days in Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.