2 days trip advice to Vevey /Montreux/ Lake Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 23:03:11 #812585

Hi all, last year we were in the beautiful country of Switzerland. We visited Lucerne (Mt. Piltaus etc) and the heavenly valley of Lauterbrunnen (Jung Frau etc). Thanks a lot for all the help provided last time.

This year I am planning a short 2 days trip for the Western side targeting Lake Geneva and Montruex / Vevey towns.

We will be driving from London late Aug. I am planning to base myself at Vevey or Montreux. Which one is more recommended? We are mainly interested in immersing ourselves in scenic beauty and exploring nearby mountain peaks etc. We will be travelling with an infant (around 5 months) and 2 other kids (9 &5) Are both towns reasonably comfortable for pram manoeuvres? Also would you recommend trip to Rochers de Naye with baby?

I am thinking to visit Rochers de Naye , Promenade walk (is it along Lake Geneva ?) Vevey town centre / Charlie’s museum etc. any other gem to visit ? Any waterfalls or cable cars /cogwheels journeys in this region?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Regards

Noman

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 6:42:56 #866635

Hi Norman,

>> I am planning a short 2 days trip … targeting Lake Geneva and Montruex / Vevey towns… I am planning to base myself at Vevey or Montreux. Which one is more recommended?

Both are nice towns with beautiful waterfront promenades and lake and mountain views.

Montreux has the advantage of having its railway station close to the wharf, making transfers between train and boat quite easy. The station in Vevey is slightly uphill from the wharf, about 10 minutes walk.

Vevey has a picturesque “old town” area close to the waterfront: Rue du Lac. There is also a beautiful historic carousel on the waterfront. Montreux has Chillon Castle. Boat trips can be taken from both Montreux and Vevey.

>> We will be travelling with an infant (around 5 months) and 2 other kids (9 &5) Are both towns reasonably comfortable for pram manoeuvres?

The lakeside promenades are ideal for prams.

>> Also would you recommend trip to Rochers de Naye with baby?

Rochers-de-Naye is at an altitude of over 2,000 metres. I would consult your doctor before taking an infant to that altitude.

>> Promenade walk (is it along Lake Geneva ?)

Yes.

>> any other gem to visit ?

A short train trip through the vineyards is beautiful. I described how to do it in my post of May 19, 2017 – 4:32 AM on the following page, and included some photos:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/1-day-lausanne-and-vevey

>> Any waterfalls or cable cars /cogwheels journeys in this region?

Yes, but I haven’t been on these myself, so hopefully someone else can give you further advice:

Les Avants-Sonloup funicular, altitude 1,156 metres (from Montreux)

http://www.goldenpass.ch/en/g oldenpass/offer/view?id=8

Funicular Territet (Montreux) to Glion, altitude 687 metres

http://www.mob.ch/en/goldenpa ss/offer/view?id=9

Les Pléiades, altitude 1,361 metres (from Vevey)

http://www.goldenpass.ch/en/g oldenpass/offer/view?id=85

Funicular railway Vevey-Mont-Pèlerin, altitude 1,080 metres

http://www.mob.ch/en/goldenpa ss/offer/view?id=10

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 16:53:02 #866636

Thanks Alpenrose for your answers. Much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2017 at 11:47:20 #866637

Hi Alpenrose666, I am finalizing my 2 day trip to Montreux / Vevey. Can you please suggest if it is reasonable:

arriving on Fri evening 25th Aug around 4-5 pm in Montreux. leaving luggage and then go for a walk around Lakeside promenades. Have dinner in Montreux.

Next day: Wake up early then leave for Rochers de Naye. Would the cogwheel train be suitable to take baby buggy / pram? spend 2-3 hrs there then visit Chillon Castle (how much time is required for that?) then in the evening take chocolate train to Broc. Is the chocolate train a special train which is part of the whole experience for kids or just a regular train with exorbitant prices…. In that case is there a normal public train available? Does this look hectic esp with 3 kids (1 infant?)

2nd day: Visit Vevey old town and Charlie’s museum. Have to leave at around 3 pm. Is there anything else we can squeeze on this day.

Any suggestions most welcome?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 6:00:11 #866638

>> Rochers de Naye. Would the cogwheel train be suitable to take baby buggy / pram?

Yes, if it folds up. Photo of inside of train attached.

>> Chillon Castle (how much time is required for that?)

Between 1-3 hours.

>> then in the evening take chocolate train to Broc… Is the chocolate train a special train which is part of the whole experience for kids or just a regular train with exorbitant prices…. In that case is there a normal public train available?

Ticket sales at the chocolate factory finish at 5 pm. You can take regional trains to Broc, but if you want to travel on the Chocolate Train, it leaves Montreux only once per day, at 8:57 am.

The Chocolate Train is not a point-to-point service, but rather a full-day roundtrip excursion. The fare includes first-class travel Montreux-Gruyères-Broc-Montreux, visits to the cheese and chocolate factories, transfers by bus from Gruyères station to the village and then on to the chocolate factory in Broc after a break of 2.5 hours. Coffee and a chocolate croissant is also provided.

>> Does this look hectic esp with 3 kids (1 infant?)

You really need to decide for yourself whether the pace suits you by using the Swiss Timetable to plan out your trips and see how long it will take you to get from one place to another:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> 2nd day: Visit Vevey old town and Charlie’s museum. Have to leave at around 3 pm. Is there anything else we can squeeze on this day.

That will depend on how long you spend at the museum and in the old town. Again, use the timetable so you know how long it will take to get to places.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 July 2017 at 6:18:22 #866639

Hi nomsat,

You might want to have a read of the Chocolate Factory experience in this trip report http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-6-days-montreux-and-wengen

• The thread ‘2 days trip advice to Vevey /Montreux/ Lake Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.