2 days in Switzerland based in Zurich – rail pass?

• Sabita
    Participant
    4 posts
    14 September 2017 at 4:40:39 #813259

Hello,

My husband and I will be travelling to Cologne,Munich and then Zurich next month in October.

1.We have booked a hotel in Zurich for 3 nights. Please suggest an itinerary for 2 full days in Switzerland, from Zurich.We will be reaching Zurich on 12th night, on 13th and 14th October we are there,and on 15th we have a return flight in the afternoon.We have planned to go on the 13th to Jungfraujoch and come back to Zurich. On 14th we are planning to go to Lucerne, Interlaken and Grindelwald. Is this fine?

2.Please suggest if buying a rail pass will be better than point to point tickets as I have to take trains from Cologne to Munich and from Munich to Zurich also.I will be travelling in Switzerland in trains.Please suggest the trains also. Thanking you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 16:42:35 #869807

Hi Sabitajha and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don’t create itineraries here at MySwissAlps, but we can help you adjust yours (you already seem to have one) :).

Jungfraujoch is possible in one day from Zurich but it is a long day so be prepared for that.
    You can visit Grindelwald when you are heading to Jungfraujoch on the 13th as you as right there – it wouldn’t make sense to go back again the next day.

I also wouldn’t worry about visiting Interlaken. You will see it as you go to Interlaken and it isn’t too exciting of a town. A day trip to Lucerne is a nice option for sure though.

I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days as a way to make things the easiest for you. It covers most trips and gives you a discount to Jungfraujoch – see here.

Lucas

Sabita
    Participant
    4 posts
    20 September 2017 at 5:01:53 #869808

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply, Lucas.

I will be buying the Swiss Travel Pass as it seems easy for travelling.

1.Can you suggest if a trip on the Golden Pass line will be good? I am thinking of going on that trip on 13th October instead of the Jungfraujoch. It is free with the travel pass so can make the best use of it. Will I have to book a seat reservation ?

2.On 14th October we plan to go to Lucerne. We will be starting at around 8 am from Zurich, reach Lucern and spend 2 hours there and from there to Mount Pilatus. Is it possible to go to Mount Rigi as well on that day?We have a hotel booked in Zurich only, so have to be back by night.

Thanks and best regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 8:25:33 #869809

Hi Sabitajha,

1. I think the Golden Pass train route is quite nice yes. Not the same as heading up to Jungfraujoch in terms of views etc. but a good alternative at a low cost. Reservations are optional on this route. In the summer we recommend making reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux as those are the panoramic trains and can get busy. For mid-October though you probably are ok without them – but they are low cost – make reservations here if you want.

If you are starting and ending that day in Zurich and want to spend some time in Montreux after you finish the Golden Pass I might recommend taking a regional train to Zweisimmen first and then taking the Golden Pass panoramic train on to Montreux. This is what I did about two years ago – you can do the whole route but it makes for a very long day. The panoramic trains on that route are noted on the timetable as MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque (heritage trains with very large windows).

2. It is possible to visit both mountains but it will be a long day for you. You can plan out your trips on the Swiss railways timetable and decide if it is worth the time for you. If you want to spend a nice couple hours in Lucerne as well I might not try to do both mountains as well.

Lucas

Sabita
    Participant
    4 posts
    20 September 2017 at 9:46:05 #869810

Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick reply, Lucas.

This forum is really good for Switzerland trip. I have noted all your points and shall follow it.

Thanks and best regards.

Sabita
    Participant
    4 posts
    20 September 2017 at 11:26:15 #869811

Hello again,

I was not able to buy the Swiss Travel Pass as the option of printing at home is not there. I tried to book on this website, https://www.swiss-pass.ch/swiss-pass/

Please send me a link so that I can print the pass at home.

Thanks and best regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 16:27:46 #869812

Hi Sabita,

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here. In order to select email and print at home you have to enter all your details and home address first – so sometimes it confuses people.

Let me know if it doesn’t work for you!

• The thread ‘2 days in Switzerland based in Zurich – rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.