2 Gals confused by Lake Thun boat schedule

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 3:02:35 #814827

Hello, I am currently planning for my upcoming Bernese Oberland trip with my friend in June and am so excited! Spefically, I need assistance on figuring out how to take full advantage of our time on Lake Thun. I downloaded the BLS Boat schedule but cannot figure out how to read it! If anybody could help, it would be greatly appreciated! Basically, I want to travel from Interlaken to St. Beatus caves, explore that area for 2 hours, hop back on a boat and travel to Thun, explore Thun for a few hours, hop on a boat again and check out Oberhofen village and castle and get back on the boat to return to Interlaken.

Is this even possible to do? Thank you in advance!

Suzanne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 7:15:16 #879065

Hi Suzanne, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> Bernese Oberland … in June … I downloaded the BLS Boat schedule but cannot figure out how to read it!

If you can’t understand the BLS boat timetable, do a search in the Swiss Timetable for each sector you plan to do. Use the timetable you have already downloaded to find out the official names of the boat docks, and use those in your timetable search.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> Is this even possible to do?

It might be, but you would be pushing it, as boat departures are not that frequent.

Consider getting the train to Thun and starting from there, as the first boat leaves Thun at 8:40, whereas the first boat doesn’t leave Interlaken West until 11:10.

Take note of the opening hours of the St Beatus Caves and Oberhofen Castle. I would leave Thun until last if you are just going to stroll around it.

Time between boats is either one hour or two hours, so if you are not getting the results you hoped for from the timetable, you will need to shorten or lengthen your stay at the various stop-off points. Otherwise, you will need to supplement the boat sectors with buses and/or trains.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2018 at 11:37:49 #879066

Hi Suzanne,

Do read the instructions on the link that Alpenrose shared, particularly the “Further options” paragraph. That allows you to specifically search for boats.

• The thread ‘2 Gals confused by Lake Thun boat schedule’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.