2 nights in Wengen - itinerary advice for October

2 nights in Wengen - itinerary advice for October

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
PeterZ
PeterZ
10 posts
Sep 29, 2017 - 11:23 PM

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are in our mid 20s and from Canada. We will spend 2 nights in Lucerne and then 2 nights in Wengen. We will arrive in Wengen sometime mid day on October 10th and leave at noon on October 12th. We are active, enjoy hiking and also like fun activities like zip lining, etc. Just wondering if anyone can suggest the best use of our time. I know a lot will be weather dependent but let's be optimistic and assume good weather.

Is the trip up Jungfraujoch unmissable or are there better uses of my time/money?

Are there quick trips/activities I can do with my 2 half days?

I know this is a broad question but am just hoping to see and do as much as possible with my limited time do any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I will be travelling with a Swiss half fare card.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3628 posts
expert
Sep 30, 2017 - 1:02 AM in reply to PeterZ

Hi Peter-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

October is an iffy month in the high Alps. Could be great weather; could be snow and nastiness. Especially unprdictable on the high altittude trails. It's good that you will be there in early October. Many services shutdown at or around the 23rd of October for lack of customers, maintenance, or pre-ski season break.

Luzern is more predictable. Altitude means a lot.

To get started, check out the links available here:

www.myswissalps.com/ge ttingstarted

Lots of good background information.

And,

www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

(follow the links included)

and:

www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

<<"Is the trip up Jungfraujoch unmissable or are there better uses of my time/money?">>

How can one offer an opinion on such items which depend on personal preferences?

Many love to spend the money to go up there; I've made 80 or 90 trips to Switzerland, including many in the Jungfrau region, and never felt it was worth the exorbitant price. To each his own.

Slowpoke

PS- You will see Luzern anywhere in the German speaking regions....not Lucerne. The canton of Luzern is German-speaking, so I use Luzern instead of Lucerne, which is the French spelling.

Last modified on Sep 30, 2017 - 1:06 AM by Slowpoke
PeterZ
PeterZ
10 posts
Oct 4, 2017 - 9:02 PM

I appreciate your advice! I guess my question regarding Jungfraujoch was really: should I spend the time and money on that or could I get something very similar from Schilthorn or First for less money. I do not care very much that it is "the highest train station in Europe". If I can get a similar experience without the fame for less money I would be happy to do so!

From what I've heard I may plan to skip it. Of course with only one real full day my hand may very well be forced by weather anyway.

Thanks again!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
3628 posts
expert
Oct 4, 2017 - 10:20 PM in reply to PeterZ

The services up to Schilthorn shut down for a few weeks for service in late Fall. Pretty sure it is in November, but if you want try that, check your date in the timetable.

Once you get into Wengenm, stop at eh local tourist office (not far from the train station) and get here advice./

By the way, to convince you that you should schedule a week or two in Wengen in September, check this bit of light reading:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Why don't you go to Banff? ;-)

Slowpoke

PeterZ
PeterZ
10 posts
Oct 5, 2017 - 1:21 PM

Lol I have spent time in Banff as well and it is well worth the trip!

I would absolutely love a week in September but this 4 days in Switzerland is just an add on because my girlfriend wanted to do a trip to Italy, I couldn't be so close without atleast checking Switzerland out! I'm sure I will be back.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017