About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 2-week hike France + 8 days Lauterbrunnen/Zurich
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

2-week hike France + 8 days Lauterbrunnen/Zurich

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jul 5, 2022 - 3:24 PM

We will be arriving in Geneva the first week of September. We (husband and me) need to get to Chamonix to start our 2 week hike in the Alps. I am planning to take the train from Geneva to Chamonix. After 2 weeks we end our hike in Nice. From Nice we are flying to Basel. Our hotel is in Lauterbrunnen. If I am looking at train routes correctly I think I can get from Basel to Lauterbrunnen by train. We will be in Lauterbrunnen for 4-5 days and I would like to use that location as my "hub" to travel to other locations via train. After Lauterbrunnen we would like to take the train to Zurich and stay there for a few days before flying home. In a nutshell it looks like we will be doing about 8-9 days of train travel over 1 month. I am not sure which pass would be the best purchase for my husband and me. I definitely want to do a boat tour while in Zurich. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to compare just buying single tickets for each adventure or purchasing one of the different passes offered.

Please and Thank you. d

Arno
Arno
15694 posts
expert &
Jul 5, 2022 - 3:56 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi Purplemidwif, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

That sounds like a great trip. Swiss rail passes won't be useful for your hiking days in France and for the train ride Geneva-Chamonix. You can get regular tickets for that: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france. So when choosing a rail pass, you can best focus on the 2nd part of your holiday in Lauterbrunnen and Zurich.

There are several options:

You can't really go wrong with an educated guess. You'll save money compared to buying full-fare tickets with any of these options. If you want to run complete calculations, this step-by-step guide with downloads may be helpful: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Yes, you can reach Lauterbrunnen by train from Basel. Nearly all Swiss towns and spots can be reached with the excellent Swiss public transport system. Here's how it works: www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel. I recommend the advanced timetable at https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable to plan your trips.

I hope these suggestions get you started.

Last modified on Jul 5, 2022 - 3:57 PM by Arno
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jul 5, 2022 - 7:55 PM

Oh my. Thank you. Looks like I better start reading.

d

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022