About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 2-week trip Lugano, Lucerne, Grindelwald in May
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

2-week trip Lugano, Lucerne, Grindelwald in May

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Jagetman
Jagetman
2 posts
Aug 9, 2022 - 4:49 AM

Absolutely enjoyed my time in Switzerland. Combination of wonderful scenery, hiking and charming people. Safe traveling throughout.

i chose to travel with very little plans in place. i do a fair amount of research (thank you MY Swiss Alps) so im girded up with plenty of information of places that i wanted to visit. Also the weather was something that was impacting my choices and i needed to be flexible.

I started my my trip from Venice and it looked like rain for next couple of days and needed to chose place where i could hunker down until weather improved. took the train to Lugano while weather passed. it was pleasant enough city for stop but not any place remarkable. Stayed at the Hotel Splendid which had a nice indoor pool / sauna . it was pleasant enough holding place.

From Lugano - I took the Gotthard express train to Lucerne. it was a wonderful train with a concierge (Eric) who gave commentary along the way to Fluelen. From Fluelen took the boat to Lucerne. The whole trip was enjoyable — maybe total of 5 hours. The large panorama train windows made for great viewing on the train.

I found all the travel pass options a bit confusing and i decided the Swiss 1/2 Fare pass was best option for me. Seemed like it allowed the most flexibility for me. In Bernese Oberland area - i purchased the Regional Pass and did receive a discount with the 1/2 Fare. The Regional Pass really was a great discount and ease to have in the area. i used it for all trains, gondolas…etc. Some trips required small additional fee but most were included.

When weather cleared up and I decided to go to Grindelwald. It was really the great location for a base. I stayed at the Hotel Belvedere which i would highly recommend. Wonderful hotel and location. I booked 3 days and extended to 5. I started by taking gondola to First and took the Thrill Walk. amazing views. Must do. Took the gondola tooth and walked the rest of the way down to Grindelwald. incredible views down into town. spectacular. lovely cows along with the way.

I visited Gimmelwald which was absolutely charming. Amazing this type of place still exists. I loved the honor system with the local cheeses and dried sausages that display and available to hikers to pay for along the way. Murren and Wengen are definite visits . Spontaneously ,i met some people who were about to do the para sailing from Murren and i joined in. Phenomenal. And, if you are the adventurous type - highly suggest. I chose not to go to Jungfraujoch. Just seemed like a highly marketed and touristy thing for my taste, instead chose to go to Schilthorn. The 007 factor was pretty minimal. And although revolving restaurants definitely fall into the cheesy category, the Gloria restaurant was enjoyable and offered up views that were not accessible from some of the viewing platforms.

I stopped at Birg gondola stop for the thrill walk. loved it.

What I would recommend is to take the Eiger Express - get off and take train to Kleine Scheidegg and then hike the most glorious hike to Wengen, so beautiful. stunning! the views are unbeatable. That afternoon was one of my highlights.

I wanted to do the Glacier Express and decided to do it from Brig to Chur. It was 4 hours of beautiful scenery but my bad luck that was stuck in a car with a very noisy large tour group. so not peaceful. the meal was o.k…. just o.k. so, Id recommend but happy that I got off in 4 hours. It really wasnt some kind of high end meal service. Scenery was beautiful.

Last stop was Lucerne. Stayed at Hotel National which had lovely pool and sauna. beautiful hotel right on water right on the promenade with lively activity going on. Lucerne was great city to explore. Used it as base and took day trip to Bern. Good city for visit and i could see staying in Bern to explore more. Stumbled upon a gorgeous botanical garden: Botanischer Garten. One of those happy chance finds when traveling.

From Lucerne went to I Pilatus with incredible views (again). took gondola 1/2 and hiked down the rest. Restaurant/bar at top and good place to watch para sailers launch.

Anna
Anna
3737 posts
expert &
Aug 9, 2022 - 5:54 AM in reply to Jagetman

Hi Jagetman,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining MySwissAlps.

It's wonderful that you managed to see a lot of places during your trip. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Aug 9, 2022 - 5:57 AM by Anna
Jagetman
Jagetman
2 posts
Aug 9, 2022 - 9:10 PM in reply to Jagetman

pictures to share...

I live in Hawaii so you can imagine how spellbound I was with glaciers, mountains and lakes. Something Ive never seen!

Please login to see the attached documents
Danielsan
Danielsan
294 posts
top member
Aug 10, 2022 - 12:03 AM

Beautiful pictures. Thank for sharing.

Arno
Arno
15585 posts
expert &
Aug 10, 2022 - 5:51 AM in reply to Jagetman

Thank you for sharing your experiences and beautiful pictures Jagetman!

I'm happy to hear the Swiss mountains were such a special experience for you. I understand they're breaththaking if you're used to Hawaii, which is so different (but also beautiful I imagine). You seem to have made the most out of your stay, with a good combination of pre-planning and flexibility at the spot. Nice that you visited several Swiss regions and included scenic train rides for your transfers.

Yes, Bern is a lovely city worth several days of exploring. That goes for many Swiss towns and regions. Too bad time is limited, isn't it :-)?

Last modified on Aug 11, 2022 - 7:34 AM by Arno
hockeyfan
hockeyfan
119 posts
Aug 10, 2022 - 10:07 AM in reply to Jagetman

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip. Your pictures are beautiful!

Ildiko
Ildiko
2369 posts
top member &
Aug 11, 2022 - 10:13 AM in reply to Jagetman

Hi Jagetman,

wonderful pictures. I like the green fields with the yellow flowers and then the white mountains in the background. I think that for this reason, May is the best time to visit Switzerland! (my other fav is September) :)

Thank you for sharing!

Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 30% discount
Available until 31 October 2022. Book 6 months ahead.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/swisstravelpass

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022