Where to go for 2 weeks end of July in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 16:53:24 #811960

We are a couple flying in and out of Zürich.

1. What are the best places to visit?

2. If I buy a SBB pass for 15 days (even though it is expensive but will work out cheaper it seems and save time) and take a base in zürich for the first week, what all can I cover in a days journey (go in the morning and come back at night)? Rhine Falls, Lucerne etc.? Is it a good idea?

3. The last leg (because we buy a full SBB pass) take a train journey on Bernina or Glacier express or perhaps both.. visit Lugano.. Zermatt.. or stay in Lauterbrunnen if that is possible and come back on the last day to Zürich, stay overnight and take the morning flight back. Is this a good plan?

4. Any other options? We want to enjoy some city life, pubs etc. and hence Zürich as a base.

Thanks

Supriya

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 May 2017 at 13:42:48 #863849

Hello Supriya3m, thanks for joining us!

Personally I wouldn’t pick Zurich as a base for two weeks. It’s an attractive city and well worth spending a couple of days, but it’s not close to the mountains and you’d have to make long travel days to get to the Alps. I’d stay there a couple of nights either at the beginning or at the end of your stay, to enjoy city life and to cover the Rhine Falls and other nearby attractions. Please find suggestions at myswissalps.com/zurich /activities, and consult the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble to get a feel of the traveling times that are involved.

Other great base towns are Lucerne and Interlaken or another town in the Jungfrau region. They’re close to the mountains (so less traveling time) and thus to lots of attractions. You’d best compare for yourself through the links I inserted and find out what appeals to you most. You can either pick on of those as a base and make longer trips to other regions, or spend some nights in both regions for shorter traveling times.

The Golden Pass is a beautiful scenic route that connects both regions. The Glacier Express or Bernina Express are harder to incorporate, unless you don’t mind spending a night at yet another location. Part of the Glacier Express is even doable as a day trip from Interlaken; please refer to “Don’t have time to do the full trip?” at myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress.

A 15 day Swiss Travel Pass will be ideal indeed. It covers most trips and allows ticketless traveling. Please read all about it, and find retailers, through myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass.

• The thread ‘Where to go for 2 weeks end of July in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.