2 weeks Nov, Zurich-Luzern-Interlaken-Geneva, baby

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2016 at 8:38:23 #808493

Hello –

I am planning a 2 week travel from Zurich to Geneva in November. We are a group of 7 adults and 1 15month-old infant. This is our planned itinerary thus far:

Day 1 – Zurich

Days 2,3,4 – Luzern. [Hoping the skies will be clear such that trips to Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis will be worth the while; will also head to Luzern’s attractions such as the Museum of Transportation, Old Town, Lake Luzern, the Chapel Bridge.]

Days 5,6,7,8 – Interlaken, Grindelward [Day trip 1 – to the top of Europe Jungfrau experience; Day trip 2 -Aerial cableway to Schilthorn; Day trip 3 – Mannlichen]

Days 9,10 – Zermatt [stroll around, see the Matterhorn]

Day 11 – Geneva

Days 12,13,14 – Zurich and a day trip to the Rhinefalls

With regards to the above, I am wondering:

• if I ought to take the train and if so, which rail pass should I get
    • or should I drive instead [considering we have a large party with alot of luggage]
    • as for accommodation, are there recommended apartments for rent in these areas? I tried Airbnb but there are not many highly rated apartments there.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 February 2016 at 11:03:50 #848758

Thanks for joining us, arired!

Public transportation is excellent in Switzerland and the preferred method of traveling to most tourists. Car rental can be quite expensive and you’ll have to take parking costs into account. Moreover, not all towns you’re interested in can be reached by car, like Zermatt. Getting along in larger cities like Zurich and Geneva generally isn’t pleasant to drivers. You’d best compare our train and car sections.

The 15 day Swiss Travel Pass would be an ideal fit for your plans, assuming you’ll opt for train traveling. It will cover all regular train, bus and boat trips and urban transportation in larger towns like Zurich, Lucerne and Geneva. You’d only need additional tickets for mountain trips. Please find information, including a full coverage overview, prices and purchase options, at our Swiss Travel Pass page. If you’re interested, you’d best buy your pass through https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com/?currency=GBP#/en/home and select “Online ticket” when asked for delivery options. Your passes will be e-mailed to you and you can print them at home without any additional fees. Of course there are other options. If you want to make sure which pass is most economical, you’d best make calculations according to these guidelines.

Trains generally have enough space for luggage, and there are luggage services too. You’ll be having some days with longer transfers, but on the other days you can simply leave your baggage at the hotel or apartment.

Apartments are usually rented by full weeks and not just for a couple of days. There are exceptions, of course. You may look for hotels in Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and Geneva instead. If you’d like more specific help, please post your question in our accommodation forum and include your criteria as explained here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 March 2016 at 2:00:45 #848759

<<“or should I drive instead [considering we have a large party with alot of luggage]”>>

Hi Arired-

For a few people, a car might be cheaper in spite of th expensive and annoying issues mentioned by Annika.

For your group, I’m not so sure. You have more than “a few.”

You’ll need a large vehicle.

Before you make decisions, check rental prices,with particular attention to luggage capacity ( usually overstate, in my opinion.)

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘2 weeks Nov, Zurich-Luzern-Interlaken-Geneva, baby’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.