2 weeks in Switzerland – advice for late April/May

• MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    1 February 2018 at 6:14:12 #814211

Hello there,

We are planning on a trip to Switzerland either late April or May. We know it will still be cold but would like to skip the busy summer season and the crowds. I have been doing some research and I am not sure if this is the way to go in regards to the order of cities to visit and the number of days to stay. A lot of moving but would like to visit all of these places while we are there. Please advise.

• Zurich (1 night)
    • Lucerne (2 nights)
    • Travel to Interlaken
    • Murren (4 nights) – Travel by train to different cities (Golden Pass)
    • Zermatt (2 nights)
    • Bern (2 nights)
    • Lausanne (2 nights)
    • Geneva (1 night)

Thank you so much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 7:22:32 #875456

Hi MrsMr19 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What are you wanting to do in Switzerland at that time of year? Because it is the off-season you’ll find a lot of hiking areas either closed due to snow or inaccessible due to maintenance work on the mountain transport. If you want to spend a good part of the time in the mountains try to come in June at least instead. It still isn’t too busy until July.

Let us know what your plans are while you are here and we can give you better advice. Be sure to look at our town pages, found here, to read about activities and hotels in the area.

I’d look at not staying in Zurich at all (unless your flight arrives very late) and making Bern a day trip perhaps to make your travel a bit easier. I would also look at Montreux instead of Lausanne as there is a bit more to do there and its connections to the area are better.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    8 February 2018 at 4:18:19 #875457

Hi Lucas,

Thank you and we appreciate your advice on this post.

We will likely do sightseeing mostly and do a lot of photography. We love nature! 🙂 The only reason we would like to go either April or May is because for some reason, we cannot take a vacation in June and we don’t want to go in July as it gets busy and crowded already. Do you think we’ll be okay?

Thank you for the advice on the number of nights to stay at each. Other than not staying in Zurich and staying at Montreaux instead of Lausanne, does it look fine? I know 2 weeks is not enough but we would like to make the most out of it while we are there. Also, will it be doable to do Switzerland in 10 days instead of 14?

Really appreciate your help on this. Have a great day!

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    8 February 2018 at 4:51:12 #875458

Hello Again,

Did a bit of research and since most of the advices that we are getting is to skip Zurich, stay in Montreaux instead of Lausanne, and Bern can be done in a day excursion, we have revised our itinerary. Not finalized but just to have an idea…

– Arrived in Zurich

– Train to Lucerne (3 nights)

– A day excursion in Bern

– Travel to Interlaken

– Murren/Wengen – 4 nights (train to different cities with Golden Pass)

– Zermatt (2 nights)

– Montreaux (2 nights)

– Geneva (1 night)

Please let us know what you think since you are the expert. 🙂

Appreciate it so much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 8:52:26 #875459

Looks nice to me now! If hiking and mountain trips are very important though I’d still come in July or August if I could.
    Yes, it will be busier but the weather is much better and all the mountain trips are available to you.

If the idea of crowds horrify you (they do with me too) try and come as late in May as you can. It doesn’t get busy here until early July.

For planning train trips use the Swiss railways timetable here & for rail passes look at the Swiss Travel Pass here.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    11 February 2018 at 5:14:38 #875460

Thank you Lucas. I will try my best it’s just the schedule won’t work for us in May. If we were to go as late in May, how would you spend your two weeks in Switzerland if you were to do the same thing that we would like to do? Are there any other bases? Appreciate your help so much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 8:36:48 #875461

I like your latest itinerary just fine – I would do something similar for sure. My suggestion is to just come as late in May as your schedule will allow. 🙂

For our suggestions on what to do have a look through our town pages for each city you are visiting and click the what to do tabs for details.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    13 February 2018 at 6:36:58 #875462

Hi Lucas,

Thank you! We would like to add two more days to our trip since we have a total of 14. Where would you suggest we should add these days or go to?

Appreciate it!

Sincerely, Josette

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 13:47:31 #875463

Hi Josette,

I would add them to your stay at Lucerne. Three nights in one base, is basically two days in that base. Since you’re also planning a day trip from Bern to there, it doesn’t give you much time to explore Lucerne. And there’s lots to do there. Please refer to the town pages that Lucas mentioned.

Or you add them to any place where you feel you’re not giving yourself enough time to really explore. I personally would not add new locations. Every time you change a base you lose time with the logistics.

• The thread ‘2 weeks in Switzerland – advice for late April/May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.