Sept/Oct trip to Zermatt,Bern, Interlaken,Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2018 at 3:35:37 #817811

Hello everyone,

I will be travelling to Swiss in late Sep to Mid Oct and I have actually planned the following routing for my stay: Zurich->Zermattt->Interlaken->Bern->Zurich

The reason for Zurich to Zermatt is because I will reach Switzerland in late Sep and afraid if I visit Zermatt in Oct most of the services would not be in operation ?

Additionally, would like to seek feedback if the my planned rail routing is probably ágainst the flow’?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2018 at 8:58:26 #893928

Hi DSL and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I don’t think you are going against any flow no. Nothing wrong with your itinerary. Zermatt won’t begin to close down until about mid- October but even then not everything closes. I’d still do Zermatt in September though and keep your schedule as is.

you can plan out the train trips/schedules with the SBB timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Have a read about Zermatt and what to do there here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

and you will want to look at rail passes for your trip as well. You can start gathering information on it here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2018 at 15:57:12 #893929

Hello Lucas,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I will be spending 14 days was thinking of inserting Lugano and also Foxtown and was wondering which of the route would be a better option, taking into consideration that travelling to and fro via the railway. Would also welcome feedback if there could be a better routing to save on the distance

Option 1: Zurich -> Bern -> Zermatt -> Interlaken -> Lucerne -> Lugano -> Zurich

Option 2: Zurich -> Bern -> Zermatt -> Interlaken -> Lugano -> Lucerne -> Zurich

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2018 at 17:32:15 #893930

I’d play around with the timetable to be sure, but I would lean to option 1. There are fast train options between Lucerne and Lugano (and Lugano and Zurich). Going to Lugano from Interlaken will take some extra time (about double than from Lucerne).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2018 at 17:45:33 #893931

Thanks, I roughly have a idea of how to plan.

Just 1 more point, I was thinking of swapping the sequence of Zermatt and Bern to be Zurich->Zermatt-> Bern before onward to Interlaken, like to seek your feedback..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 7:57:50 #893932

Nothing wrong with that either. Bern has good train connections around the country. http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn so you can get there and elsewhere easily.

In the end, it is best to check the timetable from my link and try check the schedules and trip times to see what is acceptable to you.

• The thread ‘Sept/Oct trip to Zermatt,Bern, Interlaken,Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.