21 days car trip across Switzerland in Sept “22

• Explorer21
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 November 2021 at 0:01:15 #826284

My wife and I will be touring by car for 20 nights in Sept 2022 for our first visit. Our interests are sightseeing, low keyed hiking, a few cable cars to mountain tops, and Bernina Express from Chur. I’m looking on how to split up my nights. This is my early projection but looking for opinions or better ideas. I also have one extra night to fit in somewhere. Thank you for all your help! I will be a frequent poster here to make this trip special.

Zurich – 3 nights

Lucerne – 3 nights

Chur – 3 nights

Ascona/Locarno – 2 nights

Zermatt – 2 nights

Montreux – 1 night

Interlaken – 4 nights

Zurich – 1 night

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    15 November 2021 at 1:46:04 #937503

I would increase Zermatt to 3 nights and Montreux to 2 nights and decrease Zurich to 2 nights at the start of your trip.

Anna
    6279 posts
    15 November 2021 at 9:27:27 #937504

Hi Explorer21,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

It’s great that you are planning ahead. I agree with Lastlook, perhaps you might want to spend less night in Zurich and add additional nights in Montreux and maybe even Locarno. This will allow you more time to explore the French-speaking and Italian-speaking regions. Also, if you are planning a lot of mountain excursions, have a look at the Swiss Half Fare Card to avoid paying expensive full fare tickets each time.

For more ideas on how to plan your trip, here’s a sample trip by car exploring the northern part of Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/allseasondrivingtour

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7104 posts
    16 November 2021 at 7:34:46 #937505

Hi Explorer21!

In addition, this section with tips on car driving in Switzerland might be useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/car.

• The thread ‘21 days car trip across Switzerland in Sept “22’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.