22/12 - 4 Jan Switzerland & Milan trip advice

22/12 - 4 Jan Switzerland & Milan trip advice

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
sg9peter
sg9peter
10 posts
Oct 19, 2017 - 7:58 AM

Hi,

My Family (4 adults + a 5 yr old son + a baby) planned for a trip to Swiss (land Geneva) and eventually fly back from (Italy) Milan

We will stayed thru xmas in Montreaux 23-26/12 for xmas market.

We would like to go Interlaken + Top of Europe +Grindelwald + Zermatt + Lucerne etc.

1) Can you assist of the planning? and should I get Golden Pass or Swiss travel pass or Eurail Pass?

2) Is Glacier Express/ Golden Pass/ Top of Europe operating during 24 dec - 4 Jan?

3) any Suggestion where to stay?

Thanks in advance

Lucas
Lucas
8940 posts
expert &
Oct 19, 2017 - 9:40 AM in reply to sg9peter

Hi sg9peter and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don't create itineraries here but we can guide you on the process. Use the Swiss railways timetable to help you find train schedules to and from all your destinations as well.

1. FYI the Golden Pass is a scenic train route and not a rail pass like the Swiss Travel Pass and Eurail passes.

2. Yes, the Glacier Express train and Golden Pass route are operating at the time. You can use the timetable link above to find schedules. The Golden Pass route is not one continuous train, there are stops and train changes that are needed. The panoramic train operates between Montreux and Zweisimmen (noted as MOB panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque on the timetable. The Glacier Express is noted as GEX).

3. How many total days are you in Switzerland? 22/12 - 04/01? If you want further information on where to stay click here. I would suggest spending a few nights in the Jungfrau region when you go there to visit Jungfraujoch (Top of the World). Popular options for towns there are Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. Interlaken is best as a transport hub and isn't as nice as the other two towns (in most people's opinion).
    For the Glacier Express you'll want to plan at least one night in Zermatt (before departure) and ine night in Chur after arrival (the trip is about 8 hours).

I hope that gets you started - let us know if you have more questions!
If you need help with choosing a rail pass click here for a list of options, and click here for help in choosing the best rail pass for your final chosen itinerary.

Last modified on Oct 19, 2017 - 9:42 AM by Lucas

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018