2 day Lucerne trip with mountain and hike

• Swhager
    Participant
    3 posts
    8 October 2018 at 22:04:24 #818633

My friend and I plan to travel from Zurich to Lucern on October 11 (this week), returning to Zurich on October 13. We have hotel in Lucerne for 2 nights, and are looking for the best way to include one or more mountain trips with a moderate hike and boat ride.

– how to choose between Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis? Can we do one on Thursday and one on Friday or is that too much?

– there are so many options for train vs cable car, etc. each mountain has separate website. Is there anywhere to get more simple comparisons or can you suggest an itinerary so we don’t have to price out each combo for each trip?

– can you suggest a moderate hike with great views on one of these itineraries, with a stop in a village for lunch instead of the tourist restaurant at the top?

– we need return train ticket from Zurich and the boat/train/cable car for two days only – is a pass worth the cost or better just to buy individual tickets?

We are two active women traveling without husbands or children and wish to make the most of the two days.

many thanks for your suggestions. We have already seen the links to the three mountains and SBB. We are looking more for a suggested route or an article about what you can see and do on the different routes.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2018 at 22:32:17 #897632

There is no real need to climb up every mountain – just looking at them from lower altitudes is very pleasant. If the weather is OK the Rigi would do for all your time in Luzern. There are many and varied walks available all over the Rigi massif, and the Rigi has little hamlets dotted across it accessible by train, cable car and paths.

This summer my wife and I walked from our hotel in Weggis round the west side of the Rigi massif to Immensee, along the Rigi circumnavigation path , and came back by train and boat

Use this web site to see all the walking paths:

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=de&land=wanderlan d&route=all&bgLayer=pk &layers=Wanderland&sea son=summer&resolution= 10&E=2678240&N=1211240

I wouldn’t recommend Titlis or Pilatus for hikes. Why not try something a bit different and walk around the green fields in the Schwyz area, with the Mythen mountains above you.

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=de&land=wanderlan d&route=all&bgLayer=pk &layers=Wanderland&sea son=summer&resolution= 5&E=2694129&N=1209764

Another option is to visit the cradle of Switzerland (Rütli) by boat and hike around the Seelisberg hillsides above the lake.

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=de&land=wanderlan d&route=all&bgLayer=pk &layers=Wanderland&sea son=summer&resolution= 5&E=2686695&N=1203060

Swhager
    Participant
    3 posts
    8 October 2018 at 22:42:30 #897633

Swhager
    Participant
    3 posts
    8 October 2018 at 22:45:44 #897634

Sorry, corrected typos. Please delete original if you can.

Thank you. I was looking at the Swiss history hike etc in that area and other options, but it was confusing to pick a route. Since we only have two days and it is my friend’s first time in Switzerland, I want to combine a little hiking with some sightseeing, and I feel every first-time visitor should go up at least one mountain peak to get a sense of the scale and grandeur. I have relatives in CH and have been up Rigi and Pilatus, but it was many years ago. Again, we are staying in Lucerne, so I’m looking for one or two day trips from Lucerne that include both boat on the lake plus trip up a mountain, and allow for a hike along the way, so it is not all just a “tour”. So maybe we should take boat and train to Rigi with a hike along the way. Any suggestions for moderate hike with lunch stop part way up Rigi? Or part way down?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 October 2018 at 7:36:39 #897635

Hi Swhager and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For hiking near Lucerne, I would also say Mt. Rigi (http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi) is your best bet.

If you are looking for a big peak to go up and see some great mountain views (weather cooperating) then Titlis (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis) would be a better choice. You can easily do one mountain on each day – very different experiences.

You can include a boat ride to Rigi and then some enjoy some hiking in the area.
    The route options to Rigi are explained on the Rigi link above.

For specific hikes on Rigi their website offers a good selection: http://www.rigi.ch/en/Experie nce-Enjoy/Summer/Hiking

PS unfortunately, once you replied to your post with your corrected post it can’t be deleted, only edited. Not to worry.

• The thread ‘2 day Lucerne trip with mountain and hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.