3-4 days hiking from Grindelwald in late July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2019 at 7:33:10 #823417

Hi there,

I would love some help planning my trip to Grindelwald late July.

Ideally, I would like to spend two nights, Hiking through the Bernese Oberland staying in mountain huts or if that is not possible sleeping in a tent.

I am a mid 20’s fit and experienced hiker and would love a suggestion on a potential route from Grindelwald.

Things I would love to see are the Eiger mountain, Faulhorn, Lake Bachalpsee and any other Scenic views.

At the moment, I’m settling for the option of staying in Grindelwald and doing day hikes but I really would love to make it an overnight trip on the mountain.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    16 August 2019 at 16:38:51 #920150

No, “wild camping” (as tenting is called in Switzerland) is not allowed. Only within designated campgrounds. Day hikes would be your best bet. Just enter “Hiking near Grindelwald” in the search box in upper right. That will give you a lot of information.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2019 at 22:42:24 #920151

Hi David Bart –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Exactly when are you traveling? In the USA, July ( as noted in your title) has recently passed us by. Dates help us to provide relevant season-variable information.

Too bad that you do not have more time in the area. ;-(

A specific answer to to your request would be to hike from Schynige Platte to Faulhorn, stay there at the mountain hotel, then continue. I assume that you are used to hiking at 200o meters and above?

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte

There are a lot of resources on this site. Spend some time with the links on the home page to get a better idea about travel in Switzerland.

You may like these two sites, both based on the best topo map, from the Swiss Federal Land Office::

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2637805.7 2&N=1168462.58&zoom=6

Color codes explained:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/more-wl/hiking-trail-network-and-signalization.html

and,

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/hiking-in-switzerland.html

This link will give you more information about the general area:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

which includes:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

A general option for mountain hiking in is to stay in places with dormitories (Matrazanlager, sometimes Anlager) as well as the well-known SAC huts. They are common in most regions with extensive hiking trails, as well as the high Alps.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2019 at 10:56:48 #920152

Thank you so much for your replies!

The date is incorrect, I meant to say late August, so I will be hiking around the 24-28 Aug.

With your help I’ve decided on making this route but would be open to suggestions to improve it.

Thinking of leaving the majority of luggage at interlaken before starting the walk so I only need to take the essentials.

spend day one leaving from interlaken to Schynige Platte early then heading to Faulhorn, spend the night there. From what I’ve read that is approximately 6 hours.

Day two would be leaving from Faulhorn (most likely mountain hotel) and hike to Grindelwald taking the Eiger trail and stopping by bachalpsee lake from a swim. Then spend the night in Grindelwald. From what I’ve read this is around 8-9 hours.

The following day I would return to interlaken to collect my clothing and continue my vacation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Davis

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 August 2019 at 12:38:10 #920153

<<“I am a mid 20’s fit and experienced hike”>>

Then, if you take the cograil from Wilderswil up to Schynige Platte, the first day is a good hike.

You’d have some to spend some time exploring the top at Schynige Platte. The views are among the best in the region, including the overlook for the lakes as well as the Jungfrau Massif.

I don’t know if swimming is permitted in the Bachalpsee. However, my lack of knowledge was improved by finding a post on the internet from 2017 about a swim there. The water will be cold.

The second day starts well, but the approximately 1100 meters descent on foot from First to Grindelwald can also be taken by cableway. If your knees are as fit as you are, they’ll not be bothered by the overall 1600 or so meter descent to Grindelwald from Faulhorn. But, going by cableway would permit you to ascend to Männlichen by cableway ( ersatz bus this summer), make the splendid and easy walk directly toward the North Face of the Eiger, and take the cograil train train or walk all or part way back down to Grindelwald.

Just a thought.

Those who know the history of mountaineering find special pleasure in walking toward die Nordwand (North Face) , nicknamed in German “die Mordwand” ( the murder face or death face), as it towers over you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Eiger

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    18 August 2019 at 13:37:12 #920154

Davidbart,

If you intend to spend the night at Faulhorn, I recommend that you book in advance, the place might be fully booked already for the dates you have in mind.

< I don’t know if swimming is permitted in the Bachalpsee > Swimming generates waves, and waves would make photographers unhappy…

• The thread ‘3-4 days hiking from Grindelwald in late July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.