3-4 nights in the Swiss Alps, Lake Como, Lucerne

• RGtravel
    Participant
    6 posts
    22 September 2022 at 0:07:24 #828400

My wife and I want to stay 3-4 nights in an area of Switzerland that is in the Alps and allows us to do lite hiking and visit classic alpine villages. We might stay in the Jungfrau region but I want to know what other regions are similar in what this region offers. We’re coming from Lake Como and plan to take the Bernina Express. We also plan to spend a couple of days in Lucerne. Thanks for any thoughts!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 9:26:09 #947198

Visit the Jungfrau region if you wish to be doing the same thing as everybody else. If you choose to do taht nearly every post on this website takes about that area so most questions have been covered! Same applies to the Luzern region

Other area to consider are:

Appenzell

Zermatt

resorts in the Valais region (eg Sierre Montana, Verbier)

Graubunde n (St Moritz, Engadine etc)

If you choose the latter you can just stop off after you have crossed the Bernina (not Bernini) pass!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 18:59:24 #947199

Hi RGtravel and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

The Jungfrau region is great and impressive, I recommend it: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion. You can also visit Zermatt (http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt), but I think 2-3 nights is enough there.

Lake Lucerne area is also wonderful, I like Lucerne itself and you can also visit easily 3-4 mountain tops from there: http://www.myswissalps.com/lakelucerne/activities.

1960man mentioned Graubunden: http://www.myswissalps.com/graubunden.

I also like the mountain tops in canton Vaud: Gstaad, Leysin, Glacier3000 etc.

Saas-fee is also wonderful in canton Valais: http://www.myswissalps.com/saasfee.

You find a list of mountain tops here: http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/naturalsites/mountains.

I hope you find something you like!

Ildiko

RGtravel
    Participant
    6 posts
    22 September 2022 at 20:05:03 #947200

Thank you for the feedback. I forgot to mention that we are going in June 2023. The other places that have been suggested, are they just ski resorts or do they have quaint alpine villages to visit like Gimmelwald and Lauterbrunnen? Jungfrau sounds great but I assume it is flooded with tourists. Not sure if we want to visit just ski resorts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 20:56:26 #947201

These are not just ski resorts but also villages/towns. Zermatt actually has one of the prettiest old centers, in my opinion, I’ve seen here in Switzerland.

June is not yet a high season, so I think the Jungfrau region won’t be that crowded. July and August are the summer peak seasons.

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: Best time to visit Switzerland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2022 at 22:04:29 #947202

I too love the old centre of Zermatt, although it is very small so it doesn’t take long to see it!

Lauterbrunnen isn’t really a ‘quaint’ mountain village as it is a small collection of buildings in the bottom of the valley. If you want truly quaint villages you should avoid all the ‘famous’ resorts. There are lots of ‘unspoilt’ villages – look at a map and look for small villages on the end of mountain valley bus routes.

RGtravel
    Participant
    6 posts
    22 September 2022 at 22:22:04 #947203

Very helpful. Thanks!

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    23 September 2022 at 9:54:43 #947204

Hi RGtravel,

If you’re planning on taking the Bernina Express, you may want to take it to St Moritz, Pontresina, or the surrounding area. There is an enormous amount of hiking to be done in and around that area (St Moritz, in particular). Not exactly on the ‘beaten’ trail, so to speak, but very nice just the same. Not sure when you’re planning to go, but this is along the Bernina railway. As was mentioned by 1960man, the Jungfrau region, while it is absolutely beautiful, it is also more frequently visited. Not that that is a bad thing, but perhaps go there next June when you return. Unfortunately, 3 to 4 days doesn’t afford you much time to see a small country with so much to see. After the Bernina Express, Lucerne would be a good destination (especially if you’re leaving from Zurich). One thing to keep in mind is that any place/resort in the winter, is just as beautiful in the summer. One is green, and one is white. That is the beauty of Switzerland. Again, with only 3 or 4 days, it is probably overwhelming to decide where to go. That being said, look through all the links provided, and go from there. Hope you have a great time.

Regards,

Danielsan

RGtravel
    Participant
    6 posts
    23 September 2022 at 13:13:08 #947205

Love the replies! Just to clarify, my wife and I are traveling June 2023 coming from Lake Como. Never been to Switzerland. Staying 6/7 nights and we will fly out of Zurich. We want to see Lucern and the surrounding area for sure. Prefer not to waste much time traveling between locations. Looking to spend 3 /4 nights enjoying the alps doing lite hikes and visiting “traditional” villages/towns. Based on the replies, we are now considering Appenzell and St. Moritz. Appenzell seems quieter, more “traditional”, perhaps we see the procession of cattle but takes extra time to travel to. St. Moritz/Pontresina is right on the Bernini express route and has an upscale resort vibe(?) . Both are beautiful. Any preferences? Do I need a car to get around either location (we won’t have one)? Thanks again for you insights.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2022 at 15:04:13 #947206

Absolutely no car needed for Graubunden, it has a comprehensive ‘national’ railway all of its own (the famous Rhaetian Railway RhB) and connecting buses etc. St Moritz itself is a bit upmarket but there are plenty of less expensive places. There is an abundance of accommodation of all types in Pontresina, but also in Samedan (which people think is just a railway junction – hence the cheaper prices…) In Samedan the Hotel Terminus is right by the station so is convenient. Alternatively look at the villages along the Engadine valley (all have convenient railway statons) , for example Zuoz.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2022 at 15:07:07 #947207

I can’t recommend Appenzell highly enough. A small area with beautiful rolling farmland, and higher mountains with cable cars. Appenzell has its own interconnected railway – the Appenzeller Bahnen which like RhB in Graubunden has superbly kept red trains. We also enjoyed the Appenzell Brewery tour and beer tasting…

• The thread ‘3-4 nights in the Swiss Alps, Lake Como, Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.