3 day hike Switzerland June 14 to 16?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2019 at 19:31:25 #822203

Hi everybody,

I currently live in Switzerland (Zurich), and I have a friend coming to visit, and we want to go on a 3 day hike on Friday – Sunday 14-16.6. We are not very experienced in multi-day hikes.

Since the weather seemed really unclear, we kept the decision on what hike to take to the last moment, but now is the time to choose.

As of now, the forecast for the weekend seems to be good only in Ticino. And I am assuming there is still snow in the high mountains. And unfortunately this is the weekend of the Scenic Trail marathon in Ticino, so I guess a lot of huts/hostels might be fully booked already.

What hike would you recommend to do? Should we also consider adjacent regions in Italy?

Thank you,

Igor

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    12 June 2019 at 5:38:27 #914853

Hi Igor, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Well, in the days you have in mind, it is supposed to rain only during the night of Saturday to Sunday. The good side of affairs is that the temperature should be nice for hiking.

My suggestions are : hike along Lake Constance east of Kreuzlingen, near Münsterlingen, or on Mainau Island (that would be in Germany). Or along the Limmat river, and visit Baden. Or do the Pfannenstiel Weg on the range north of Lake Zurich, with a view towards the Alps: http://www.rapperswil-zuerichsee.ch/de

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 7:05:15 #914854

Thanks for the suggestions and for the welcome Snowman!

We are looking for a 3-day hike (something like 4-5 hours per day). And something a bit more alpine that just walking along the lake or the river (not necessarily to the high passes, but something like 600-800 meters uphill per day).

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    12 June 2019 at 8:39:53 #914855

Ok. I thought I should consider the fact that you are not experienced hikers.

The Scenic Trail you mention is in the southern part of Ticino (Sotto Ceneri), so there should not be any exceptional crowd on trails north of Monte Ceneri, such as the Maggia or the Leventina valleys. You could do sections 25-27 off the Trans Swiss Trail, from Airolo to Biasca. I am not sure it will match your 600m uphill wish (do it in reverse, 27-25 if you want it uphill).

Snow is still an issue on higher trail but for my suggestion you should expect snow free trails (google < webcam Airolo >.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 11:48:48 #914856

Thanks! I was already looking at this hike a couple days ago, and it seems to be exactly what we need. We will go there!

Thanks for the advice 🙂

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    12 June 2019 at 14:48:55 #914857

Glad I could help. I have done most of this trail myself. Hope you’ll enjoy it!

• The thread ‘3 day hike Switzerland June 14 to 16?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.