3 day hut hike in Switzerland – ideas?

• anneit
    Participant
    1 post
    23 April 2023 at 19:10:07 #829667

Hello! I am a student currently living in Zurich. I have some friends coming to visit in July, and we wanted to do a 3-day hut hike together. I’ve done a bit of searching online, and there are many options for possible huts we can stay in, trails to do, etc. It is a bit overwhelming and I am not sure how best to plan a trip like this, so I was hoping maybe someone here might have some advice/recommended routes. Here is what we had in mind for criteria:

– Easy to moderate difficulty

– 4-6 hours of hiking per day

-SAC hut

– 3 days, 2 nights

-Mountains, some body of water would be ideal (lake, river, etc.)

– Preferably within 2.5 hours of Zurich

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and ideas!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    23 April 2023 at 19:47:08 #953721

Hi anneit,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Have you tried researching via the following links:

Schweizer Alpine Club (SAC) – provides information about mountain huts and suggested tours. Here you can narrow down your search to the specific regions.

Schweiz Mobility – the official hiking network website for Switzerland. Here you can also narrow down your hiking trails to match your capabilities.

I hope this helps, feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    8 May 2023 at 0:30:16 #953722

Hi Anneit,

Yes, it can be quite overwhelming when you start planning. I have spent endless (fun!) hours poring over websites, endless maps, blogs, etc. I first did a 12 day hiking trip in 2019, then again in 2022, and am going back in 2023. A part of my heart lies in those beautiful mountains of the Bernese Oberland region!

From Mürren, a wonderful hike is up to the Rotstock hut, along which you have the stunning views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. The trail is generally quite easy, except for one short steep climb. It actually does not take more than approximately 3 hrs to get to the hut, which is very quaint and rustic! From there, you can continue hiking all the way up to the Sefinenfurgee pass. This trail becomes increasingly steeper, but the views are breathtaking. Last year we went to the top of the pass, and then turned back down because we were sleeping at the Rotstock hut. However, from the top of the Sefinenfurgee pass, one can continue towards the west, to the Gspalthorn hut. The Gspalthorn hut is also fantastic. I hiked to it last year from the village of Griesalp (which lies in the Kiental valley). This is also a spectacular hike!

I believe that many hikers go from the Gspalthorn hut to the Bluemlisalp hut. I will be going to the Bluemlisalp hut on my upcoming trip this summer, hiking up from Griesalp.

On my first trip in 2019 we went to the Lobhorn Hut, which lies at only 1900m. It is an easy trail from Sulwald, after taking a quaint short gondola ride from Isenfluh. It was a great experience and we met some wonderful locals at the hut (I am from Canada, but speak German).

Another fabulous hike with majestic views, is up to the Oberhornsee. From Stechelberg or Gimmelwald (not to be confused with Grindelwald), this hike takes approximately 8 hrs. A portion of it is quite difficult as you have a fairly steep steady uphill climb for approximately an hour. Once you slowly come out from the forest, the rewards are waiting for you, as the views are breathtaking. You will eventually come across a charming place , the Obersteinberg Inn. It is a family run place with cows and chickens nearby. You can have a bite to eat (cash only), with stunning views as you sit at a small table. This place has a few rooms to rent, but is not part of the SAC (Swiss Alpine Club). There is limited electricity.

So I hope some of this information helps!

Monica

• The thread ‘3 day hut hike in Switzerland – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.