About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum 3-day itinerary in Wengen, late September
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

3-day itinerary in Wengen, late September

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Joejax
Joejax
36 posts
May 12, 2022 - 8:20 PM

My wife and I are going to spend 15 days in Switzerland starting Sept.24 and flying out Oct. 5. Our last trip was canceled, so we are excited to finally make it there. Itinerary: Zurich, Lucerne, Wengen, Montreux, Zermatt, St. Moritz, Lake Como, Lugano, Lucerne, Zurich. We have a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass. I have been reading this forum everyday for 2 years and it has been very helpful in our planning. The only problem I have had is planning our 3 days and 3 nights in Wengen. I have never been to the Jungfrau region and there are so many things to do but I don't know the size or scale of the region . We will be traveling from Lucerne to Interlaken / Wengen mid morning on a Thursday and departing for Montreux mid morning on Sunday. We want to see as many of the sights as possible including Jungfraujoch. One quick stop to Gimmelwald would be fun for us because 2 of our children stayed there while on a college trip 10 years ago. I just don't know how to piece together the three days .What to do which days and in what sequence.? We are healthy and active and adventurous 71 year couple and would also like to do some 5 k + easy/ moderate hikes. Also very interested in Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Murren .We will be taking boat rides in other towns, so that does not have to be in our itinerary in Interlaken or Thun.. Can anyone suggest a three day itinerary? We will be most grateful.

Joejax

Anna
Anna
2657 posts
expert &
May 13, 2022 - 6:57 AM in reply to Joejax

Hi Joejax,

It's good to know you are finally making a trip to Switzerland.

For your information, although the Jungfrau region is surrounded by mountains, it is a fairly accessible area with efficient local and mountain transportation. With careful planning, 3 days should give you enough time to explore the region. Based on your plans in Wengen, my suggestions would be:

1st day (arrival) - Check -in, explore Wengen, excursion to Männlichen, hike the Panoramaweg to Kleine Scheidegg if you have time

2nd day - Morning: Jungfraujoch, afternoon: explore Grindelwald, excursions to Grindelwald First (hike to Bachalpsee if you have time) and/or Pfingstegg

3rd day - Morning: explore Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Gimmelwald, afternoon - Interlaken enroute to next destination

More information about the Jungfrau region here: www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion

This 1 day sample trip might give you an idea how 'small' the Jungfrau region is: www.myswissalps.com/onedayjungfrauregion

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

pkerr
pkerr
221 posts
May 13, 2022 - 12:52 PM in reply to Anna

Anna - that itinerary you suggested looks very similar to what we did when we had the same amount of time in Wengen. All very enjoyable and fun. As a reminder, you can walk this schedule as much as you want and when you get tired, you can just hop on a train or lift that are all very near to where you will be traveling.

Joejax
Joejax
36 posts
May 13, 2022 - 1:28 PM in reply to Anna

Anna,

Thanks for the quick response. It looks like you have covered just about everything we had an interest in seeing. Is it possible that we could fit Schilthorn into one of these days? Also, Trummelbach Falls? Are we trying to put too much together in 3 days?

Thanks...Joejax

Anna
Anna
2657 posts
expert &
May 13, 2022 - 1:40 PM in reply to Joejax

Hi Joejax,

Yes, it may be possible to include a visit to Schilthorn during your day trip to Lauterbrunnen + Murren + Gimmelwald. I suggest do this on Day 2 instead of Day 3 so you'll have the whole day for it.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on May 13, 2022 - 1:41 PM by Anna
Susita
Susita
1 post
May 14, 2022 - 12:33 AM in reply to Anna

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for the detailed information! I, too, am going to be in Wengen in September but hadn't gotten as far as what to do, other than going up to the Jungfraujoch. On a previous trip, my husband and I went to Gimmelwald and Murren - both awesome. I loved that there are no cars there. We loved so many things about Switzerland, but we were disappointed by the coffee we were served in our hotel and various restaurants and cafes. This was in 2000 and 2003. I'm wondering if any "coffee snobs" have anything to report about coffee up in the alps?

Thanks!

Anna
Anna
2657 posts
expert &
May 14, 2022 - 9:42 AM in reply to Susita

Hi Susita,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's unfortunate that the coffee was not up to your expectation but I hope it won't stop you from visiting again.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
Arno
14838 posts
expert &
May 15, 2022 - 9:56 AM

Hi Susita,

I do appreciate a good cup of coffee but I'm no expert. My experience is that quality varies a lot but in general I've been happy with what I got served. The canton of Ticino might be a good destination for you: www.myswissalps.com/ticino. The coffee culture is clearly different there, more similar to Italy.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022