3 days in Zurich, day trip to Titlis or Schilthorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2019 at 16:01:22 #824147

Hi, I am travelling with my 2 adult daughters only for 3 days in Switzerland in the second week of January next year. Since it is very short trip, I plan to do only Zurich with ZVV 24 hour pass the first day and 2nd day buy Saver Day pass travel to either Mt. Titlis or Schilthorn. Coming from NJ-US, not much of snow fan but more fond of cable rides and the thrill walk. I am unable to decide between the two. If the weather goes bad which should be my pick? And in the evening 2nd day on the return plant to return Zurich via Luzern for the LILU Light festival? I will appreciate any suggestions and also which places to go in Luzern to get the best of light photographs. Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    10 October 2019 at 18:20:57 #923471

I was at Titlis four days ago and Schilthorn two days ago. Both had snow at the top so I’m pretty sure they’ll have snow in January. Titlis is much closer to Zurich (~2.5 hours) and Lucerne (~1h 17m) than Schilthorn, but believe it or not it takes about the same amount of time from either location (~3h 25m) to get to the Schilthorn. Either one involves multiple train/bus/gondola changes, but more if coming from Zurich.

From Lucerne, 1 train & 2 gondolas to Titlis, or 2 trains, 1 bus, & 4 gondolas to Schilthorn. From Zurich, add 1 more train to the totals.

Weather can change rapidly, so look at the forecast for each before deciding, but most importantly, look at the live web cams for each mountain before leaving. If you’re in Lucerne and the weather forecast & web cams look bad for Titlis or Schilthorn, check the web cam for Mt. Pilatus, right outside Lucerne. It is lower and may be under cloud cover that obscures the other two higher mountains. And you can still take 2 gondolas up.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2019 at 18:46:28 #923472

Thanks CabinJon for a reply with all the info.

So it seems we need to be prepared for a Plan A, B & C. Surely, we will check the live cameras before leaving.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    10 October 2019 at 19:17:11 #923473

Using the SBB timetable referenced many time on this site is an invaluable planning aid. Even more so when coupled with the Traveler’s WiFi, for those last minute changes.

Anna
    6355 posts
    11 October 2019 at 5:35:05 #923474

Hi NJ Neel,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Firstly I agree with CabinJon, Titlis is closer to Zurich than Schiltorn is. It makes sense to go to Titlis if you wish to stop in Lucerne on the way back.

Some useful links to help you plan your travel:

Be sure to check the weather forecast before you start your journey, and also make use of the SBB timetable. You can download the apps from this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Also, you can check these links for more information about the Saver Day Pass
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/saverdaypass/pri ce

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2019 at 13:05:08 #923475

Hi Ann,

Wow! I am really amazed and thankful for such quick responses. And really appreciate the way you guys go out of the way sharing all the information with tourist.

Thank you! Thank you!

• The thread ‘3 days in Zurich, day trip to Titlis or Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.