3 days in Switzerland in June - how to get around

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
bannya
bannya
2 posts
May 18, 2018 - 8:48 AM

Hello,

we will be in transit In Zurich for 3 days in mid-June. I would like to cover Lucern-Mt. Titlis-Englebern, Interlaken-Jungfraujoch-Grindelwald, Zermatt-Matterhorn. Is this even possible in 3 days? Via Train? what would be the best route to optimize the travel time? I am more interested to see hills, pastures, lakes panoramic swiss scenery - no ski or snow (as we have plenty in Canada). Should I then skip Zermatt and just spend more time in Interlaken-Jungfraujoch-Grindelwald area?

Also, I would love to stop by and walk around a bit to enjoy the lovely scenes of mountains, pastures - is this possible when you take train rides?

Is there a place to store luggage safely in Zurich airport for couple of days?

I am very confused!!

Thanks

Lucas
Lucas
9632 posts
expert &
May 18, 2018 - 4:39 PM in reply to bannya

Hi Bannya and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I'm Canadian too but it was still a treat to visit Zermatt and the Matterhorn (nothing like either in Canada). I'd skip Lucerne and Titlis personally over Zermatt and the Matterhorn.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips between towns and mountains to see what you are comfortable doing each day. Some people don't want to be too rushed and others want to fit in as much as possible and are with running around all day.

I would probably base myself in Interlaken as it is fairly central and easy to catch trains to where you want to go (important for your short trip).

Yes, you can store your luggage at a left luggage office at Zurich airport.

bannya
bannya
2 posts
Jun 1, 2018 - 4:49 PM

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I arrive in Zurich on 16th June, early morning 6:00 am. If I purchase my STP ahead of time, would I be able to use it for my ride from airport to the station that leaves for Lucern/Interlaken? From airport which station do I go to catch my trains?

Can you suggest a very scenic hiking trail of mountains, pastures etc - 3-4 hours hiking perhaps, and difficulty level should be low ( I am travelling with pre-teens) . I still am tempted to visit Mount Titlis for the suspended bridge and Engleberg village.

Thanks in advance,

Bannya

Lucas
Lucas
9632 posts
expert &
Jun 1, 2018 - 7:21 PM in reply to bannya

HI Bannya,

Yes, you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price and have it emailed to you to print at home. At Zurich airport the train station is just below the airport and you can take a train to Lucerne from there. Check the timetable to plan the trip: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Are you looking for this hike to be around Lucerne or somewhere else? I would look at Mt. Rigi, near Lucerne, for some nice easy hikes: https://www.myswissalp s.com/rigi

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018