Train pass for 3 day trip to Spiez, Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2017 at 9:49:17 #812858

Hello.

My husband and I are finishing our month long Europe trip with a stay in Spiez, Switzerland. We are arriving on Sunday from Milan to Spiez and have booked a hotel there. I need help with deciding whether or not to get a travel pass and what kind, or if we should just do point-to-point tickets. I’ve spent hours looking at different options and still feel lost. Any insight would be appreciated. Here is what we would like to do:

Sunday, 8/6- Arrive in Spiez at 13:30. We have some interest in taking the boat on Lake Thun, but the passes I’ve looked at only include that if we get a 5 or 6 day pass. We are only here for 4 days.

Monday, 8/7- Take train to Interlaken and visit Murren, Gimmelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald (How long does this take? hopping between these towns…5 hours? 10 hours? Should we combine some of them with the trip to Jungfrau?

Tuesday, 8/8- Take train to Interlaken and visit Jungfrau

Wednesday, 8/9- Travel to Geneva for flight on Thursday to Dublin. Would like to take a scenic train there if possible, could do stops along the way but will have luggage.

I’ve looked at the Jungfrau pass, as well as the Berner/Ob, but the former seems like it’s not enough coverage and the latter TOO much coverage. Also, we need to get to Geneva on the 9th. Should this just be purchased separately?

THANK YOU for any insight/advice.

Amy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 August 2017 at 18:40:02 #867932

Thanks for joining us Amy!

Spiez is a wonderful place to stay for a few days! However, a Jungfrau Travel Pass is not a good choice as the town is not in the Jungfrau region. A pass covering a larger area allows you to be flexible if the weather is not suitable to make trips into the mountains.

The simplest option is the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. It includes the train from the Swiss border (Domodossola) to Spiez, the boat ride, many trains in the Jungfrau region (the others are discounted), and also the ride to Geneva airport via the scenic Golden Pass line. You can receive the pass through e-mail and print it yourself (e.g. at a hotel reception if that’s where you are now). Additionally you need a ticket from Milan to Domodossola (don’t get off the train there as the pass covers the rest of the journey).

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland would indeed also be an option but requires additional tickets for the inbound and outbound trip. You could do the math to see what works best price wise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2017 at 20:09:29 #867933

Thank you so much! I ended up purchasing that 4 day pass and am really happy about it. Only thing is, we had already booked a train from Milan to Spiez, so I’m eating the cost a bit on that one.

I’ll try posting this in another area of the forum, but is Spiez a good spot for running? My husband and I are training for fall marathons and need to get a few miles in. THANK YOU for reassuring me about my purchase of the 4 day pass. 🙂

Amy

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2017 at 1:17:44 #867934

<<“I’ll try posting this in another area of the forum, but is Spiez a good spot for running? My husband and I are training for fall marathons and need to get a few miles in.”>>

Hi Amy-

Run on the valley floor from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and beyond. Altitude approx 800 meters if I recall correctly, and fairly level… rises 60 meters over several kilometers.:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&X=15 8004.40&Y=636392.34&zo om=5

For more fun –

Take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg and run the 4.4 km trail to Männlichen at about 2300 meters:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

The trail is 220 % more scenic if you do it itn ethe other dirction, but, you want exercise…;-)

Once you get to Männlichen, Take the 100 meter climb up to Männlichen Gipfel ( peak) to get a bit of lung exercise. Also, some nice views of where you have just been. See attachments.

This report will possibly give you some other ideas:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2017 at 8:32:42 #867935

Hi amy

There is a path alongside the lake between Spiez and Faulensee – we do it as a Wanderweg (not being fit and active any more!!) but you could probably run there and back!

Maggie

• The thread ‘Train pass for 3 day trip to Spiez, Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.