3 Days in Luzern in July with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 19:01:31 #811241

Hello, I have written on here before but I have no idea where those posts went, and I can’t find them in my email either. Anyway, here I go again..please bare with me! =)

We are a family of 4 traveling through Europe in the summer (July 10th -12th ) We will be coming from Colmar to Luzern, I am planning to purchase the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass. I’m planning on using the STP on the 10th coming from Basel to Luzern. I’m planning on leaving Colmar early so we can start our 1st day in Luzern.

Day 1. Luzern, What can a family of 4 do here? I do want to see and take photographs of the chapel bridge and I want to also see the Lion monument. My kids would probably want to ride the boat, and I am planning on surprising them with it because it’s included in the STP. Does the boat go anywhere or just around the lake? what other things can we do besides that? I want use the pass as much as possible to make our money’s worth. Will it be advisable to go to Bern and is it worth it?

Day 2. My Husband really wants to go and see the villages in the alps and waterfalls. I showed him Lauterbrunnen and he wants to really go there. Also, while were in that area, we want to go to Grindelwald First. Is this possible? My son is in a wheelchair also. He loves the outdoors and we don’t want him missing out! We bring him out as much as possible, even if we have to move in a slower pace =) Is the Grindelwald cliff walk wheelchair accessible? or is that area even handicap friendly? Will the STP cover the train fees for this trip? What is the best route to take to these places coming from Luzern?

Day 3. Our last day. We want to go on the scenic Golden Pass Line. This one, I am confused! Is it just a train and takes you around to see the beautiful sceneries? I saw there are 3 routes? and I get even more confused! What do I do? Which route is best to take? Will it be possible to do this trip in 1 day? We prefer not to leave too late in the evening to go to our next destination (Milan) Since our trip to Switzerland is so short, we would want to see the best of it! We leave Switzerland on the 12th to Milan and I heard I can use my STP until the border, Can I book this trip in advance or do I need to do it at the train station to show my card?

Again, Thank you in advance for helping me out!! =)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    1 April 2017 at 6:40:14 #860854

Welcome back May! If you click on your nickname on the left you’ll get a list of your other threads.

Please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity for what’s included in the Swiss Travel Pass (be sure to download the map). Activities for Luzern can be found through myswissalps.com/ lucerne (particularly the “What to do” tab). The boat page can be found there too.

Bern is a good day trip, also with less favourable weather. Whether it is worth is for you depends on your interests. It’s a wonderful old town center.

I’m pretty sure the gondola to First will also take wheelchairs, but I don’t know about all options once there.

For all about Lauterbrunnen, please see: myswissalps.com/ lauterbrunnen. Details on the Golden Pass line are here: myswissalps.com/ goldenpass. Golden Pass is just a name for a route, so don’t overthink it 😉 You can travel from any town to any town as you like. Trains runs all day long. It’s all covered by your Swiss Travel Pass.

Here’s where to buy the Swiss Travel Pass and tickets from Colmar to Basel and Domodossola to Milan:

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    2 April 2017 at 14:57:14 #860855

Is it permissible to post website links? I found an incredibly helpful website describing hikes and she includes whether they are doable with strollers or wheelchairs. Perhaps the original poster would like to take a look at what her son could be able to do! It is momstotszurich.com.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2017 at 16:36:45 #860856

Hi Debra,

Yes indeed you can and thank you for sharing! I just posted that link to a new member looking for help traveling with a 9 month old!

Cheers,

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 0:35:18 #860857

Thank you all so much! thank you Debra for that website link, I will check it out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 0:45:17 #860858

Thank you Arno! Do I need to stop at Domodolossa to get to Milan or can I just take a direct train from Lucern to Milan?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 6:48:19 #860859

Hi webetrippin,

No need to stop at any city/station if you are on a direct train.

You just need two tickets before you board the train (the Swiss Travel Pass to cover the Swiss portion) and then another ticket from the border to Milan. You can buy the Italian ticket on the link Arno gave you earlier.

When asked for your ticket within Switzerland show the Swiss Travel Pass, and when asked for a ticket in Italy show them the Italian ticket for that route.

Be careful which Italian city you travel through. The direct train from Luzern to Milan will travel through Chiasso not Domodossola (so you need a ticket from CHiasso to Milan).

There is a map button when searching on the Swiss railways timetable (hit the + beside the train you want) that will show the route your train takes….zoom in until you find the Swiss town on the border.

Cheers,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘3 Days in Luzern in July with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.