3 days Grindelwald & cheaper way to Jungfraujoch

3 days Grindelwald & cheaper way to Jungfraujoch

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
ryanryan
ryanryan
5 posts
Aug 12, 2017 - 3:09 AM

I will stay in a hotel at Grindelwald for 3 days. Here is my plan

Day 1

Grindelwald–Bort–Schreckfeld–First --> Flyer to Schreckfeld-> walk to Bort-> bike to Grindelwald

Day 2

Grindelwald --> Kleine Scheidgee –> Jungfraujoch ---> Kleine Scheidgee (lunch)->walk-->Wengen-Mannlichen--Grindelward

Day 3

Grindelwald–Lauterbrunnen -- Stechelberg--Mürren (Schilthornbahn)-- Grindelwald

I will buy a Swiss-Half- Pass.

Q1: For Day 2, should I need to buy any pass?

Q2: or I just buy the point-to-point tickets? (e.g. Grindelwald --> Jungfraujoch = CHF 47.5 for SINGLE trip ), correct ?

Q3: When I use SBB app to preview the tickets, the round trip tickets (Grindelwald --> Jungfraujoch) = CHF 95.0, what will be the return time? or I can choose the any car on the same day?

Arno
Arno
10352 posts
expert &
Aug 12, 2017 - 11:13 AM

Welcome to MySwissAlps RyanRyan!

As for your questions:

Q1: No, if you plan to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card you need no additional passes. You only need discounted tickets. You can print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home: www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price

Q2: Yes, that's the single discounted price. But you can simply buy a return ticket. No need to buy a ticket for each leg separately.

Q3: Sorry, I am not sure what you mean here. You mentioned a price, a time and a car?

ryanryan
ryanryan
5 posts
Aug 12, 2017 - 1:36 PM

Thank you for your reply!

Re Q3: I mean when I select the round-trip in the SBB apps, it seems that it can only choose the time for the Point A --> Point B, but cant see any option for choosing time for the return route (Point B --> Point A).

Arno
Arno
10352 posts
expert &
Aug 12, 2017 - 2:26 PM

Hi again RyanRyan,

To find schedules back to Grindelwald you simply fill out Jungfraujoch in the From field and Grindelwald in the To field, here in the timetable. Note that times are unrelated to tickets. You just buy a ticket for the day either on the spot or online, and you can take any train you like with that. Of course if you buy a seat reservation on top of that, that is for one train only.

Enjoy the trip!

Last modified on Aug 12, 2017 - 2:27 PM by Arno
ryanryan
ryanryan
5 posts
Aug 12, 2017 - 2:33 PM

Yes, I know the schedule from Grindelward to Jungfraujoch clearly from the SBB app.

I mean when i tap the "round trip" icon (see attachment)

That is no way to choose the return time.

Therefore, i am wondering if that mean "round trip" tickets allow us to take the train in any time (go/return, or only for return)?

Sorry for my poor english.

Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
10352 posts
expert &
Aug 12, 2017 - 2:41 PM

Hi RyanRyan,

Yes, you can travel at any time you like. The round trip icon is only there so you can see the price of a return ticket. At what time you board the return train is up to you, your ticket is valid for the entire day. So no need to pick a time.

ryanryan
ryanryan
5 posts
Aug 12, 2017 - 2:47 PM

I get it!

How about if I buy a SINGLE ticket? Can I still travel at any time?

As I just find my ticket ( in my SBB app, the ticket (SINGLE ticket) doesn't indicate any time.

Please login to see the attached documents
Arno
Arno
10352 posts
expert &
Aug 12, 2017 - 3:55 PM in reply to ryanryan

Great! Tickets in Switzerland are never for one specific train, unless you book a seat too. So yes, you can travel at any time.

ryanryan
ryanryan
5 posts
Aug 13, 2017 - 8:11 AM

Thank you Arno! You are helpful!

Sabina
Sabina
5 posts
Aug 22, 2017 - 4:46 PM

Hi Arno,

I would like to know if we will also have to buy tickets for from Grindelwald to Jungfrauhoch and back for my son who is 10 years old and eligible for Swiss family card and free travel with our swiss travel passes.

thanks

Sabina

Lucas
Lucas
5570 posts
expert &
Aug 23, 2017 - 5:34 AM in reply to Sabina

Hi Sabina,

If you have the Swiss Family Card then your son travels free - no tickets needed.

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018