3 days hike from Wengen to Schynigge Platte

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2019 at 18:22:28 #822806

Dear All,

This summer I’m planning a 3 days hut-to-hut trek in the area of Grindelwald-Wengen.

I would like to do hiking for 3 days and 2 overnight stays in remote huts on the trail. The plan is to start the 2nd day in First and walk via Bachalpsee and Faulhorn to Faulhorn hut, where we will spend the 2nd night. 3rd day walk from Faulhorn hut to Schynigge Platte and from there cablecar down and back to Wengen by train.

But I’m stuck for the start of the trek. We will stay in Wengen the day we start so ideally we could start from there to arrive around First for the 1st overnight. But after hours of researching I still haven’t found any long-enough/nice trails. The ones I’ve found are too short or all end in Grindelwald (where we are again back in civilized world).

So does anybody have any recommendations on where we could start our trek? From Wengen to First? Or better catch a train to somewhere else and start walking from there (like Meiringen/ Grosse Scheidegg /…). The important thing is to arrive in the evening at First (or closeby). And where could we spend the night in a remote hut?

We like high and spectacular hikes (and I know the First- Schynigge Platte is like this :-)) so any help or tips welcome!!

Thank you very much!

Emma

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    13 July 2019 at 11:19:52 #917625

Hi Emma

There are endless options for hiking from Wengen to First and it is somewhat subjective to know what is a “ long enough “ hike.

My suggestion would be to take the cable car from Wengen to Mannlichen and then hike Kleine Scheidegg (1.5 hrs). From KS continue uphill to Eigergletscher (1 hr). At Eigergletscher walk the Eiger trail to Alpiglen (2.5 hrs). At Alpiglen you can either take the train to Grindelwald or if you want more go ahead and walk down to Grindelwald. At Grindelwald most take the cable car up to First as it is quite long and steep but it is certainly possible to hike up to First as the trail generally follows the cable car. I think the scenery on the suggested route from Mannlichen to Alpiglen is spectacular and will rival that of Schynige Platte. You can as well hike from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg instead of the cable car but this leg is also steep and less scenic and you would miss the part from Mannlichen to to KS which is much more scenic in my opinion.

Note on the leg from Faulhorn to SP as you approach SP you will come to a fork in the road just after Laucherhorn. Be sure and take the right fork which takes you on the Panaramaweg route along the cliff top ridge, it will have the most spectacular scenery of the entire hike. The other fork takes you to SP down the middle of the plateau and is slightly shorter but much less scenic.

Also note the above hiking times do not take into account any stops for pictures , rest , or food. So you will need to allow for this.

Mark

Annika
    7121 posts
    13 July 2019 at 12:39:06 #917626

Hi Emma788, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

You’ve selected scenic trails and if you’re a trained hiker, you’ll definitely enjoy them! Mark gave some very valuable tips on how to cover the section Wengen-Grindelwald on day 1. It looks a bit like section 11 of the Via Alpina. I’ll add a link providing maps and height profiles, which might be of help: http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/etappe-01560.html. You’d start in Wengen rather than in Lauterbrunnen. And as Mark suggested, you could reach Kleine Scheidegg from Männlichen instead of Wengen.

Here’s more on safety and preparation when hiking in the Swiss Alps:

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    13 July 2019 at 19:31:08 #917627

Hi Annika

As I recall the leg from Alpiglen to KS on the Via Alpina ( or the reverse ) goes through Grindelwald valley. I have done this and it is nice especially if the higher Eiger trail is impassable due to snow. However in my opinion the route that goes from KS to Eigergletscher is quite scenic with beautiful views on both sides and Jungfrau and Monch strait ahead. There is also a very pretty lake or reservoir at Eigergletscher which reflects the nearby peaks. Then the higher Eiger trail down to Alpiglen goes beside the base of the Eiger and has very good views down to Grindelwald valley and the peaks on the other side. This is why I personally prefer the above route to the Via Alpina.

Of course opinions are very subjective especially in regard to scenery.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2019 at 20:09:13 #917628

Dear Mark and Annika,

Thanks a lot for your answers. Very helpfull!! It clears a lot 🙂

We will start in Wengen and go via Kleine Scheidegg to the Eiger Trail. Probably end around Alpiglen.

One last question: do you happen to know a mountain hut around Alpiglen, or not too far from there? So we can descend the next day and go up to First to start our 2nd day of walking. I’ve seen on google maps that there’s a Berghaus in Alpiglen, but it seems closed. I know we could end our 1st hiking day in Grindelwald and stay there in a hotel, but I think it’s a pitty to be back in the civilised world 🙂 I prefer staying in nature, in a more remote hut… Any tips on this?…

Thanks a lot! I’m already a fan of this forum, really kind and efficient 🙂 Really great work you do guys!

Kind regards,

Emma

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    13 July 2019 at 21:20:46 #917629

Sorry there may be a hut or Berghaus in Alpiglen but i have no idea. Perhaps Annika knows.

I think you will find the views from Wengen to KS nice especially after you reach Wengernalp. Though not as spectacular as from Mannlichen it will certainly be more challenging and likely much,much fewer people

Mark

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    13 July 2019 at 21:38:00 #917630

Hi Emma

If there isn’t a hut at Alpiglen you might check for one near Grosse Scheidegg or Waldspitz. Both are about 1 hr hiking from First or you can take a bus to either from Grindelwald. They will add a little distance to your day 2 hike but the leg from First to Faulhorn is fairly short anyway compared to day 3 Faulhorn to SP. Both GS and Waldspitz are away from “civilization “.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2019 at 21:53:10 #917631

So I assume the options you and Annika propose are: 1. from Mannlichen to KS easy-hike, scenic but crowdy or 2. from Wengen to KS challenging, less scenic, but also less people… Great info!! Thank you!

And thanks a lot for the info on the hut. I will have a look at GS or Waldspitz! 🙂

• The thread ‘3 days hike from Wengen to Schynigge Platte’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.