3 days in Jungfrau region and 2 days in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2018 at 17:36:24 #817528

We just got back from Switzerland and had an amazing time. I had read these forum for weeks and asked some questions. It really helped us. Thank you Myswissalps!!!

We spent 3 days in the Jungfrau region and 2 days in Lucerne. We did the Jungfrau trip. We waited until the night before to book the reservation because we wanted to make sure the weather was good and we could see. It is an expensive trip even with the Swiss Travel Pass. So staying in the region gave us a little flexibility. We did that very early. After we spent 3 hrs there we took the train to Grindelwald and went up First and did a walk. Don’t waste time getting up there because last gondola ride is 5:30ish. Kids did the three wheelers (long line) and trottie bikes (no line). There were big lines for the other activities. Our second day we went to Schilthorn. This is covered by the STP. A view of Jungfrau from the other side of the valley. My husband is a huge James Bond fan so we loved it. Nice Bond museum at the top. The half way point has the suspended walk and nice views – easy stop. For real hikers there are some amazing hikes in the area. We unfortunately didn’t have the time to do them. We did Schynige Platte one day as well. Great Cog Rail! We did the 2 1/2 hr hike with amazing views of Interlaken and area. STP covered 50% I seem to recall. Train stations can store bags which is a great help and allowed us to spend part of the day in the region and then pick up our bags and head to Lucerne.

In Lucerne we went up Pilatus. Steepest cog rail in world. (50% STP). We did the longer walk up there. Down the other side there is a stop for families – amazing ropes course (3 hrs 21 SF) and sled run on track (big line). Be careful gondola last run is 5:45. We only had a limited time on the ropes course much to kids disappointment because we didn’t know about the last gondola down being so early. Day two was a boat ride on Lake Lucerne (amazing), walk around old town and time in the Transportation museum (very cool place that was redone not too long ago we were told).

Swiss trains are amazing and so on time. They seem to have connections all set and on the train there are screens to tell connections and times. Having the STP made life easy. Get the family pass for kids at the same time. We saved so much money not having to pay for the kids (11, 13 and 15) They are free for pretty much everything with the family pass up to age 16. Activities we had to pay and the museum there was a discount.

on our way to the Zurchi airport our final day we stopped in the FIFA museum. My boys are crazy soccer fans. It was the day before the World Cup final and we had watched a lot of the games. So appropriate! So easy with the trains. Great way to finish the trip. That was all we did in Zurich.

Utilize the grocery stores. Coop around most train station to grab things for lunch. Much more economical.

We can’t wait to go back to Switzerland. Loved it!!! I want to do more hiking and boat rides. Lucerne is one of the most beautiful cities I have every been to.

I hope this helps someone and again thanks to Lucas, Rockoyster, Arno and all for the help!!

A Boston Family

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2018 at 6:56:02 #892616

Thanks so much for the post here Laurie!

Glad we helped your trip planning. Happy Travels in the future (on your return here of course 😉)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 July 2018 at 10:53:49 #892617

Thanks for the report and the feedback Laurie. So glad you enjoyed your trip. 😎🇦🇺

• The thread ‘3 days in Jungfrau region and 2 days in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.