3 days in Lauterbrunnen or Lucerne?

• jerniice
    Participant
    5 posts
    31 January 2018 at 2:53:45 #814203

Hello!

We will be travelling to Switzerland for 3 days in early June from Milan, before heading our to Frankfurt. It’ll be our first trip too (yeah, we’re definitely excited!)

After reading on the net, it seems like Lauterbrunnen or Lucerne is highly recommended for first-timers.

However, we will be travelling with a pregnant woman (2nd trimester), so we’re steering clear of rough terrains.

May I know if Lauterbrunnen or Lucerne will be more suitable for us?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 12:06:14 #875426

Hi Jerniice and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Visiting either town would be fine – it really depends on what you want to do there.
    Lauterbrunnen is a very small village that is close to a couple of large mountain attractions (Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn).

Lucerne is a larger city, with a city’s amenities, located next to a lake. Lauterbrunnen’s main attraction are the nearby mountain trips and hiking excursions. If you are planning on doing neither I would focus on Lucerne.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    31 January 2018 at 13:03:45 #875427

Last October I was in both places. If you want to be in the mountains, do some hiking, take a train higher up into the high alps, Lauterbrennen is the place (although it is in a valley). It’s a very small town, so it’s easy to walk one end to the other. Mountains all around, and they seem within reach! Spectacular! Next trip, I’ll stay in Wengen, just up the mountain from Lauterbrennen.

if you prefer strolls along the river and lakeside where restaurants are aplenty, and there are trips to nearby mountains, then Lucerne won’t disappoint. Also there are boat excursions on the lake, and the shopping is all around. Walks around the old part of town are fun (as are the covered bridges). A very lively place. I wouldn’t miss it on my next trip.

it all depends on what you want to do and see.

• The thread ‘3 days in Lauterbrunnen or Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.