3 Days in Switzerland (18-20th March)

• bhavya
    Participant
    3 posts
    25 February 2017 at 14:32:47 #810899

Hi,

I along with a friend are planning to spend 3 days in Switzerland. Below are the things that we have booked.

1. We will fly to Zurich on 18th March. We will land around 09:45AM.
    2. We will fly from Zurich on 20th March. Our flight time is 19:25.

Below is what we have planned:

• We will either take a train from Zurich to Lucerne on 18th March and just explore the lake area for a couple of hours or stay in Zurich and walk in the old city instead.
    • We then plan to take a train to Zermatt and reach there by night time.
    • We plan to take a gondola to Matterhorn Glacier Area in the early morning and get back to Zermatt by noon.
    • After Lunch, We plan to reach Interlaken by train and having a meal there, We would like to reach a base spot like Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen or any such spot by night and stay there for the night.
    • We will take a trip to Jungfraujoch in the early morning [The first train] and come back by 12PM
    • After which, we will take a train to Zurich.

Note: We are not planning to perform any activity or ski. We really really want to visit Matterhorn and Jungfraujoch.

My concerns are:

1. Where shall we stay on the second night of our trip.

2. Is our itinerary doable. Do you find any concerns? We might have not considered a factor while planning.

3. Which things do you think shall we skip?

I will appreciate any responses. Thanks for your help in advance.

Best Regards,

Bhavya Jain

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 17:10:44 #859341

Hi Bhavya Jain and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Traveling to Zermatt from Luzern or Zurich (or Zurich airport) is about the same time (3-3.5 hours). So it really comes down to the city you are most interesting in visiting. Take a look at our city guides on Luzern and Zurich to help you decide. Personally, with only a few hours to explore I would stay in Zurich (it has a few more things to see and do as it is a larger town).

I would do the 2nd and 3rd nights in Interlaken or the towns you mentioned such as Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Murren. Having two days in that region gives you a backup in case the weather is lousy and you shouldn’t bother visiting Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn.

These are my initial thoughts, let me know what you think or if you have further questions!

Lucas

bhavya
    Participant
    3 posts
    27 February 2017 at 8:34:33 #859342

Dear Lucas,

Thank you so much for your input.

So, This is what we have planned/booked until now

• 1st Day in Zurich. Depart at 4PM for Zermatt.
    • 1st Night in Zermatt.
    • 2nd Day in Matterhorn Glacier Paradise/Rothorn and Gornergratt (First trip up).
    • Depart for Interlaken on 2nd Day around 3PM. After spending a couple of hours, Depart for Lauterbrunnen. Stay in Lauterbrunnen.
    • 3rd Day: Take the first ride up to Jungfraujoch. Spend a couple of hours up there and do the descent around 11AM. Take the train to Zurich.

The only concerns that we have now are related to 3rd Day. 1) Can we trust on Switzerland Rail Network?. If yes, and if weather is good, 2) Do you think the first ascent to Jungfraujoch and a descent after couple of hours leaves us time to reach Zurich by 5PM?

Actually, We can not extend due to our work commitments and hence 3 days are all we have. But Better Something than Nothing :).

Best Regards,

/Bhavya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 15:48:01 #859343

Hi bhava,

Yes, you can trust the Swiss Rail Network. I would giver myself a little leeway on arrival time. If I must be at airport at 5pm I would book to get there by 415/430 to be safe.

If the weather is good 2 to 3 hours on Jungfraujoch would probably be sufficient. Check the SBB timetable to see what train to get from Jungfraujoch to Zurich before 5pm.

One last note, I wouldn’t leave Zermatt as late as 3pm if you want to explore Interlaken before going to Lauterbrunnen.

Lucas

bhavya
    Participant
    3 posts
    28 February 2017 at 9:22:55 #859344

Hi Lucas,

Thank you so much. You have eradicated all my worries and concerns. I will keep your suggestions and implement them positively.

Thank you again for your help.

Best Regards,

Bhavya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 16:41:42 #859345

Happy to help Bhavya! Have a great trip!

Lucas

• The thread ‘3 Days in Switzerland (18-20th March)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.