3 days in Switzerland – May – best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 4:38:50 #813635

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a 3 day trip to Switzerland in May 2018. We will be flying into Zurich airport. We would like to visit Lucerne and lungern, Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Gimmelwald, Murren, Schilthorn and MAYBE Grindelwald. I am wondering if the travel pass will be worth it for these places? It states on the website that it covers all the train, bus and boat fees. I don’t think we will be going anywhere by boat, mostly train & bus and the cable car to and from Schilthorn.

Will the travel pass be worth it for us? How much is the discount for the cablecar to Schilthorn?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 11:40:43 #871707

Hi Khalida123 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, I would think the Swiss Travel Pass would be worth it (click here to read what is covered by the Pass and here for 2018) – it sounds like you will be traveling a lot. It doesn’t matter that you aren’t on boats at all – just how many trips you take on some form of transport.

Check out our page on how to choose the best rail pass to help you do the math (it is the only way to know for sure but you need to plan out your trips first).

I would say that you probably can’t get to all the towns you want to in three days (unless you just want to arrive in the town and spend an hour there before moving on).

I might stay 1 night in Lucerne and two nights in Lauterbrunnen. Lauterbrunnen has good connections by bus, train or cable car to the other towns (and Schilthorn) in the Jungfrau region. I would also skip Interlaken – not that interesting a town.

You will train past Lungern on your way to Interlaken from Luzern…not sure if it is feasible or needed to stop for you – unless you have something in mind there you want to see and do.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips and see what you can fit in one day (and still enjoy the day!).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 12:00:02 #871708

Hi Khalida

>> How much is the discount for the cablecar to Schilthorn?

In 2018, the cable car to the Schilthorn is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You will still need to present your Swiss Travel Pass at the ticket window to get a free bar-coded ticket, which you will need to get through the turnstile before boarding the cable car.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 18:39:15 #871709

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2017 at 18:39:36 #871710

Oh great! Thank you 🙂

• The thread ‘3 days in Switzerland – May – best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.