3 days in Switzerland with Lucerne as base

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 13:42:25 #810652

I will reach basel from amsterdam (i stay in amsterdam) with my husband at 10.30am on 6th february.

From there we will be going to Lucerne (as we will stay there for the entire trip).

7th, 8th feb we will be in switzerland.

9th feb we have a flight to catch from geneva at 7PM.

Please suggest how should we plan out trip to get the maximum usage of time and also we are more interested in mountains and snow.

and Do we have to take a 4 day pass for the same? as we will totally be dependent on the Public transport there.

Can we visit mount Rigi on 6th Feb that is after checking in the stay ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 16:24:06 #858400

Hi Resham and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Its best to take a look on our Luzern (local German spelling) information page for more details on what you can see and do in the area. Mt. Rigi is accessible certainly…you could go there after checking in at your hotel but it would be a long/late day for you. It also depends on what you want to do on Rigi and how long you want to stay there. 🙂 I would save it for another day personally. Maybe explore the town of Luzern on the 6th.

Here is a list of activities and attractions available in the area around Luzern…other options I like for mountains and snow would be Pilatus and Titlis mountains as well or instead of Rigi. Of course weather will play a big part on where you go and when. It changes frequently and can make a trip to any mountain pointless if its quite bad weather.

The 3 or 4 day Swiss Travel Pass, I think, would be an excellent option for you on this trip but be sure to look here and do the math for the trips you decide you want to do. The Swiss half-fare Card is another good option.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2017 at 16:52:46 #858401

Thanks Lucas.

Can we cover titlis and rigi in 1 day?

As the second day we are planning to take glacier express from chur to brig. Is it worth to give this time to glacier express?

Also do we get any free local din there?

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 January 2017 at 7:50:40 #858402

Hi Resham,

You can if you start your day early and don’t stay too long at the top. I’d start with Mount Titlis as trains up and down Mount Rigi run till later in the day. The Glacier Express takes a lot of time from Lucerne. It’s wonderful, but up to you if you want to spend so much time on it. The Glacier Express page explains it all.

I am not sure what you mean by your last questions.

• The thread ‘3 days in Switzerland with Lucerne as base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.