3 days in Zurich – what to do?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 5:00:53 #814554

Hi All,

I will be in Zurich on 23rd March 2018, coming by train from Salzburg ETA 13.20. My next destination will be Luzern, catching early morning train on 26th March 2018.

I will have half day on 23rd and 2 full days to explore Zurich & surrounding areas. My initial itinerary is:-

23rd pm – walk around Zurich / lake cruise

24th am – join free walking tour in the morning

25th pm – Rhine Fall and Schaffhausen by train

This is my first visit to Switzerland and I am not sure how long to explore Zurich. Should I go to Rhine Fall and Schaffhausen on 24th afternoon? Then what should I do on 25th, is it worth visiting Vaduz?

Appreciate advice on the above itinerary.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 11:14:37 #877438

Hi MRSid and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Is your main purpose of your visit to see Zurich? Are you interested in visiting any of the Swiss Alps? There are day trips you could do to the mountains around Lucerne if you wish to: Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi or Mt. Titlis.

If mountains aren’t interesting to you, then yes the Rhein Falls and/or Stein am Rhein are a nice day trip out from Zurich. I’m not sure Schaffhausen is all that interesting but it could be for you. Read about my day trip to Stein am Rhein here.

I would perhaps spend the 23rd on a lake cruise in Zurich as you will get a good walking tour introduction tour the next day (if you don’t go to the mountains). I’m not sure Vaduz is too interesting in itself – unless you want to just visit Liechtenstein. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 14:02:24 #877439

Hi,

Thank you Lucas.

I will be in Zurich from 23rd-25th March. Thereafter:-

26th March – am train from Zurich to Luzern (and Mount Titlis)

27th March – am train from Luzern to Jungfraujoch and overnight in Lauterbrunne

28th March – train from Lauterbrunne to Brig to catch Glacier Express to Zermatt

29th March – afternoon train from Zermatt to Montreux

30th March – afternoon train from Montreux to Geneva

31st March – afternoon train from Geneva to Paris

I hope the above is doable as I have made all the necessary reservations.

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 15:37:18 #877440

Ah yes, I missed the rest of your trip. 🙂

Yes, that is all workable. March 27 will be a long day for you – hopefully the weather works out in your favour. I wouldn’t book tickets/reservations for Jungfraujoch until you know the weather looks good that day (no earlier than 1 day before) so that you don’t go up and see nothing but clouds!

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your train trips. If you haven’t looked into a Swiss Rail Pass have a look here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 March 2018 at 19:43:54 #877441

On 27th if you want to catch the actual Glacier Express (GEX In the timetable) you will need a reservation even though it is a quite short leg of that route. Regular trains are more frequent and perfectly OK.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 2:36:09 #877442

My mistake… I did not provide the rest of the itinerary in my first post.

On the 27th, I take note of the comment, I plan to break the journey at Lauterbrunne. If weather is good, will leave luggage at the train station and buy ticket to Jungfraujoch. Otherwise, will leave luggage at the hotel in Lauterbrunne and probably spend the day in Interlaken. I have not purchased the Swiss Pass but based on my calculation, I am better off with Half Fare Pass.

I have read about your day trip to Stein am Rhein. I guess I will do Rhine Fall & Stein am Rhein on the 25th March. And forego Schaffhausen and Vaduz.

Is the ZVV 9 O’Clock Day Pass valid to travel to Stein am Rhein?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 March 2018 at 2:38:51 #877443

Sorry, meant 28th for GEX. Go Lauterbrunnen to Brig via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 2:45:51 #877444

Thanks for the advise Rockoyster.

I have made the seat reservation (CHF13). Then, I could only make reservation, ticket was not open for sale yet. I would buy ticket when I reach Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 2:50:38 #877445

I take note of your suggestion to travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train. Will check the train schedule.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 7:00:27 #877446

The 9 o’clock pass for all zones (2nd class 26chf) can get you to Schloss Laufen am Rhein. There is another stop at the RheinFall (Neuhausen Rheinfall) that pass the isn’t valid for.

1 way tickets can be as low as 9chf so it will depend on how much travel you do that day to make the day pass worth it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2018 at 6:19:22 #877447

Noted.

Thanks.

• The thread ‘3 days in Zurich – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.