3 days Interlaken: Berner Oberland Pass?

• Shinheeah
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 May 2023 at 2:46:21 #829740

Hello everyone, I’m planning to Switzerland this June. Here is my schedule:

Day 1: Flight from Amsterdam -> Basel, arrive at 10am -> Train to Interlaken, check in hotel at 13:00 -> Train to Brienz Rothorn, discover Brunngasse, Brienz Lake, Iseltwald

Day 2: Grindelwald -> Jungfraujoch -> Murren -> Lauterbrunnen -> Harder Kulm (if have time)

Day 3: Sigriswill bridge in early morning -> check out hotel, Train to Venice at 12am

Please advise me the following:

1. Do we have time to visit all the destinations in Day 1? I really want to go to Brienz Rothorn and Brunngasse

2. Which rail passes should I buy for 3 days above? I plan to buy BOP, but it only covers to Bern and Brig, so I have to book the travel from Basel -> Bern, and Brig -> Venice => I should buy Half Fare Card or Saver Day Passes for Day 1 and 3?

3. For Day 2, If I have BOP, the return route to Jungfraujoch costs 99CHF, but if I have Half Fare Card also, do the fee discount to 50CHF?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    2 May 2023 at 9:11:52 #953981

Hi Shinheeah,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Day 1 is a bit tight but possible if you can catch your train connection from Basel to Interlaken Ost before noon.

Your Day 1 schedule would roughly look like this:

• Train from Basel to Interlaken Ost – about 2 hours
    • Store luggage at Interlaken Ost station
    • Take train from Interlaken Ost to Brienz – 25 mins
    • Take the Brienzer Rothorn cogwheel train up – 1 hour (2 hours to get up and down). You can find details on how to reach the valley station here: http://www.myswissalps.com/brienzerrothorn/gettingthere
    • Take a boat trip from Brienz to Interlaken Ost via Iseltwald – 1.5 hours. More information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakebrienz

Regarding railpass, I agree with your plan to purchase a 3-day Berner Oberland Pass (CHF230). The Berner Oberland includes free travel to Brienzer Rothorn, Harder Kulm and boat trips on Lake Brienz. It also includes free travel to Domodossola via Brig on the BLS mountain railway. So the only ticket you need to purchase are the tickets from the Swiss border to Venice, excursion ticket to Jungfraujoch (CHF99) and the single journey ticket from Basel to Bern on Day 1.

If you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can purchase the Berner Oberland Pass at a reduced price of CHF150.

You can find more useful tips on how to choose the best rail pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Regards,

Anna

Fogrover
    Participant
    12 posts
    2 May 2023 at 14:46:07 #953982

Does the Swiss Travel Pass apply to the Berger Oberland railways? Also, does the Swiss Travel Pass cover the route from Interlaken to the Jungfrau? If yes, how do we reserve?

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    3 May 2023 at 5:03:12 #953983

Hello Fogrover,

Thank you for your question.

You can read all about the Swiss Travel Pass in the below link (how to use, where to buy etc). There is also a coverage map you can download and see in detail where and what is included (click on the “validity” tab). Depending on your travel plans, you may benefit from the current Swiss Travel Pass promotion (till May 14th), more details in the link.

Essentially the Swiss Travel Pass will give you unlimited travel throughout Switzerland (s0 yes, to the Berner Oberland region). Mountain excursions are discounted. With your Swiss Travel Pass, you will not be able to reach Jungfraujoch for free but it will cover your travel to Grindelwald or Wengen. Thereon it’s 25% off to reach Jungfraujoch.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Fogrover
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 May 2023 at 14:36:11 #953984

We have a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass and Half Fare cards for the other days. Thank you.

Fogrover
    Participant
    12 posts
    8 May 2023 at 15:10:07 #953985

On our trip to CH we plan to do a day trip from Brienz to Lauterbrunnen. Do you have advice on what gondolas, cog railways, and hikes we can do from there? Or, is there a website or guide book to help uS? Thank you for your response.

Anna
    6355 posts
    8 May 2023 at 21:38:32 #953986

Hi Fogrover,

From Brienz you can take a train to Lauterbrunnen via Interlaken Ost. In Lauterbrunnen, you can walk to the Staubbach waterfalls or visit the Trummelbach Falls near Stechelberg. Then from Stechelberg take a the cable car up to Schilthorn. For the return trip, I recommend taking the cable car down to Mürren, walk through the village and take the cogwheel train and cableway down to Lauterbrunnen. This circular route can also be donw in reverse.

You can find further information in the following links:

You can use the SBB timetable to check train schedules and plan your routes: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Regards,

Anna

Shinheeah
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 May 2023 at 4:24:26 #953987

Thank you so much for your reply, Anna

I want to check one more issue that if we go to Jungfraujoch with BOP, we have to pay 99CHF additional. But if we have Half fare card, do we get the discount 50% more, from 99CHF-> 50CHF?

Anna
    6355 posts
    9 May 2023 at 8:17:47 #953988

Hi Shinheeah,

No you will still pay CHF99. But if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can purchase the Berner Oberland Pass at a reduced price (eg. a standard 3-day Berner Oberland Pass cost CHF230, with Swiss Half Fare Card you pay only CHF150). You can find purchase options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/price

Regards,

Anna

Shinheeah
    Participant
    4 posts
    10 May 2023 at 7:46:25 #953989

Thank you so much, Anna.

And in case, I want to go to Blausse => does the BOP cover the trip to Blausse? and if not, how much, I have to pay for this with BOP ?

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    10 May 2023 at 11:33:57 #953990

Hello Shinheeah,

Herewith the coverage map for the Berner Oberland Pass, you will be able to see all the routes included:

If you download the map and scroll to the second page , you will see that you will receive 50% discount for entry to Blausee with the Berner Oberland Pass 🙂

To view the pricing and where to buy the Berner Oberland Pass, take a look here: https://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/price

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘3 days Interlaken: Berner Oberland Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.