3 days scenic holiday: Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken

3 days scenic holiday: Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mithran96
Mithran96
3 posts
Apr 23, 2018 - 1:40 PM

Hello everyone. My family and I (5 of us - all adults) will be travelling to Switzerland for around 3 days in July. We are looking for a relaxed holiday and to enjoy the views of Interlaken and Lucerne.

We will be flying in an out from Zurich and thinking of spending each day at Zurich, Lucerne and Interlaken. I would appreciate if you could give me some tips like:

- is the Swiss pass worth for 3 days or should I get the half ticket?

- which towns/cities should I visit; I don't mind not visiting places in Zurich since its more of a metro but my flights are there.

- any recommendation on the activities and basic expenses

I can give more information if you need them.

Thank you so much, in advance.

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 23, 2018 - 7:41 PM in reply to Mithran96

Hi Mithrang96, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

• Depends on how much you will travel. We have information here on how to use the best rail pass.
  • Lucerne is very nice. You could also look at Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. If you click on the links you get also information on what to do in the different places. That might help you to make a decision.
  • Either click on the above links or visit: www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities. Based on your activities you can finalize your itinerary which will help you to choose the best rail pass. Different rail passes give different discounts on activities.

I hope this helps get you started.

Mithran96
Mithran96
3 posts
Apr 23, 2018 - 9:34 PM in reply to Chantal

Dera Chantal,

Thank you so much for your reply. It is very helpful indeed.

I have a few more questions regarding the Swiss Pass:

- If I buy a 3 days pass, will it be valid for 72 hours from the time I bought? or it will only last for 3 days since the day I bought? eg: If I buy a pass on Day 1 8pm, will it last until 7.59pm on Day 4? or until 11.59pm Day 3?

- With the Full Swiss Pass, do I still need to reserve for the Golden Pass? Or should I just get the train ticket on the day I want to travel?

Hope you can answer these questions too.

Thank you again.

Arno
Arno
11133 posts
expert &
Apr 24, 2018 - 5:30 AM

HI Mithrang96,

Please see here for how it works: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse. When you buy it you'll pick a start day. The time does not matter, it's valid for 3 calendar days until 5:00 AM of the 4th day. You can print the pass at home: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Reservations are not included in the pass. Please see here for details: www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets.

This all applies to the Swiss Travel Pass. SwissPass is something else, you don't need that: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/swisspass

Enjoy your trips!

Last modified on Apr 24, 2018 - 5:32 AM by Arno
Mithran96
Mithran96
3 posts
Apr 25, 2018 - 10:00 AM in reply to Arno

Hello Arno!

Thank you so much for all the helpful information.

What do you think about road tripping around Switzerland? Do they offer scenic views like train journeys? Or is train the best mode of transportation?

Thank you.

Lucas
Lucas
8820 posts
expert &
Apr 26, 2018 - 2:18 AM in reply to Mithran96

Hi Mithran96,

There are certainly nice drives in Switzerland - especially later in the summer on the Alpine passes. But in general the trains are better to move around and you can enjoy the scenery while not concentrating on driving.

People who drive tend to be: Large groups (saving money on renting a van); people who are coming to drive an Alpine pass specifically; and some photographers who want to be able to stop and pull over when they please.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018